Are there ANY plans for a developer edition for the Droid Turbo?
andrwsprk

I like the phone except for how locked down it is. I'm a tinkerer. I've held off buying a new device for 2.5+ years now because of the lack of developer friendly devices.

Why, Verizon? Why... Just release a version. You've already allowed companies to release developer editions for phones like the S5 and the Note4 and One M8, why not this Droid Turbo?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Are there ANY plans for a developer edition for the Droid Turbo?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you considered purchasing the Nexus 6 instead?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
TurboFan

Go to "about phone" in settings and tap on the "system version" 7 times to unlock developer mode.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

The reason Motorola hasn't made it yet. The other companies made developer versions on their own.

0 Likes
andrwsprk

That's not the same thing. Developer editions come with an unlockable bootloader so custom versions of Android can be put on it.

0 Likes
andrwsprk

That doesn't seem to be true considering that other carriers get unlockable versions but Verizon's are the ones that are most often completely locked down.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

The Dev version for the HTC for example?  If HTC is willing to unlock bootloaders(This includes the Verizon M8) then why have a dev version? If the manufacturers want an unlocked version they can make one for Verizon network.  All they need to do is give Verizon the IMEI numbers just like how Samsung does it.  You just have to buy it outright.

0 Likes