Droid Razr M Kitkat 4.4.2 Update Removes All Wireless and Network Connectivity
prk1400
Enthusiast - Level 1

For 2 days a screen has been popping up on my phone urging me to download and install Android 4.4.2 Kitkat. What could go wrong, I asked myself? Oh, brother!

Before: Android Jellybean has been chugging along contentedly on my phone for nearly a year. I love my phone. It has served me very well. I get a clear and full-strength signal from anywhere in my home using my personal router, and get a signal matching in quality to the strength and distance of Wi-Fi routers when I am out and about. (I previously had an HTC Desire with US Cellular and could NOT get a clear signal of 4 bars except very rarely. Usually I got 1 or no bars. Caveat: I live out in the country.) My Verizon Droid gets 4G network 5 X 5 almost always out here. Let's just say I've been very satisfied.

After: Android Kitkat is installed. Yay! Oh, phone. Why you no work no more? It's really simple. I have no wireless connection, even though the router is working perfectly and this is proved by the fact that my wife is online in the next room with her computer. I also have no 4G connection. I have no 3G connection. I HAVE NO CONNECTION! I have a brick which I can't even play my games on because they can't connect with the game servers.

So, first, thank you, Verizon, for sending out a product that has clearly not been properly tested. A casual look at the forums and other websites will show that this problem isn't peculiar to my phone. It's all over the country.

Second, please patch this pronto! My phone is dead! Dead to me, I say! Unless I have internet connections and the ability to make and receive phone calls, I will have to consider throwing in the Verizon towel and finding a competitor who can actually roll out a successful update.

All the best!

PRK

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Droid Razr M Kitkat 4.4.2 Update Removes All Wireless and Network Connectivity
prk1400
Enthusiast - Level 1

I fixed it! By myself! Me! Single-handedly! OK, I fixed it by accident after trying every thing that I saw mentioned on these forums regarding the update problems. What worked? No clue. I did: 3 soft resets; 3 switching on and off wireless; 5 forgetting and re-discovering my router and re-entering all the password key info; turned it off and left it off for 2 hours; changed/toggled every state of every wireless and data connection switch 5 times.

I'm not sure which of these worked. After turning it off and turning it back on after all the above attempts, I had signals. Wireless and 4G. Who knows why. So, dear Verizon, I take back the mean things I said. I'm sure you were trying as hard as you could in a stressful situation. Neither of us was at our best. Let's just agree to let it go and move on. OK? OK?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Droid Razr M Kitkat 4.4.2 Update Removes All Wireless and Network Connectivity
prk1400
Enthusiast - Level 1

I fixed it! By myself! Me! Single-handedly! OK, I fixed it by accident after trying every thing that I saw mentioned on these forums regarding the update problems. What worked? No clue. I did: 3 soft resets; 3 switching on and off wireless; 5 forgetting and re-discovering my router and re-entering all the password key info; turned it off and left it off for 2 hours; changed/toggled every state of every wireless and data connection switch 5 times.

I'm not sure which of these worked. After turning it off and turning it back on after all the above attempts, I had signals. Wireless and 4G. Who knows why. So, dear Verizon, I take back the mean things I said. I'm sure you were trying as hard as you could in a stressful situation. Neither of us was at our best. Let's just agree to let it go and move on. OK? OK?

0 Likes
ozarkmiss
Enthusiast - Level 3

is your mysterious fix still fixed?  cell and wifi signal good as before?  You seem to be a lone example out here.  A statue should be erected in your honor.

0 Likes