Droid Turbo XT1254 reboots and optimizes apps
dmmiller2k
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just recently upgraded my 3+ year old DROID RAZR M to a (presumably) brand new Droid Turbo (XT1254).

Yes, it's an older model phone (i.e., it's not the Turbo 2), but it's better than the RAZR M it replaced in every possible dimension:

• 2.7GHz quad- vs. 1.5GHz dual-core CPU
  • 3GB vs. 1GB RAM
  • 32GB vs. 8GB storage
  • 1440 x 2560 pixels (~565 ppi pixel density) 5.2" AMOLED vs. 540 x 960 pixels (~256 ppi pixel density) 4.3" Pentile LCD screen
  • 21 vs 8MP camera
  • new battery lasts all day (and then some) vs. old battery lasted 15-20 hours (if I was lucky and manually managed power effectively)

.. and the best part is that it only cost $200 (vs. $500-700, depending on the phone, for a roughly equivalent newer model).

The phone came with Android 5.1 Lollipop and is running what I believe is the latest update (23.21.49.quark_verizon.verizon.en.US.vzw), to which it updated itself almost immediately out of the box.

The problem is that it occasionally reboots itself, almost always when it's in my pocket, and launches into optimizing apps on the way back up. It does this randomly, sometimes many days apart, other times it could occur one day apart; once, it happened twice in a single day.

It just happened again today, but this time, it flew through the optimizing apps phase (unusual, since it normally takes awhile) and when it finished coming back up there was a notification with the title, "Storage space running out", that had the descriptive text, "Not enough storage for the system. Make sure you have 250MB of free space and restart."

I tapped on the notification, and it took me to the Storage Settings screen, where it once again reminded me with a notice that "Storage space running out", with descriptive text that read, "Some system functions, such as syncing, may not work correctly. Try to free space by deleting or unpinning items, such as apps or media content."

However, the normal storage screen (beneath it) showed a total space of 24.13GB (this is the 32GB model), and 14.43GB available! What storage space could it possibly be complaining about that's running out?

Could it be the system storage (i.e., whatever takes up the difference between 32GB and the total usable space of 24.13GB)?

This phone is stock, never rooted, so I have no way to control the system storage (do I?).

Could it actually be referring to RAM, not storage?

Anyway, I shut it down and restarted it manually, and this time it's taking its sweet time optimizing apps (as usual).

How do I fix this? Is it something only an update can cure? IS there an update planned which contains a cure?

Would someone who knows what they're talking about please respond (i.e., Verizon / Motorola support)?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Droid Turbo XT1254 reboots and optimizes apps
dmmiller2k
Enthusiast - Level 2

The phone is still working since I cleared the system cache several days ago.

If I were to follow your advice and reboot it into safe mode, it might be days before the issue showed its head, and much longer still before it could be concluded that the issue no longer exists, during all of which time I'd be without apps I rely upon every day. So I am loathe to do this for any length of time.

Instead, I was hoping you wold acknowledge that this is a known bug (in the hardware, or in the Verizon customization of the Motorola Android OS implementation), and would admit whether it is fixed in a forthcoming OS update. Absent that, I presume you have a list of known apps (or combinations thereof) that were previously found to cause the XT1254 to spontaneously reboot (and under what specific conditions), and I would appreciate that list

And while we're on the subject, could you give me an ETA for that forthcoming update, whether or not it fixes this issue? Please don't bother referring me to the Motorola Software Update page (Motorola Support - Find Answers | Motorola Mobility, Inc. ); there's no real info there, just a statement that:

This device will be upgraded to the Android 6 (Marshmallow) release of Android, pending partner support.

but no ETA or any real further info, for that matter. I suppose "pending partner support" refers to you guys, no? So you should know.

As an alternative, please feel free to contact me at my personal email address -- it's on my Motorola Profile.

Thanks,

- David

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Droid Turbo
Forgive typos, grammatical errors, inappropriate remarks, offensive comments and incorrect facts.

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You might want to clear the system cache through the recovery menu. The steps are likely already posted somewhere on the community and it certainly finds blessings through a Google search.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Congratulations on your new Droid Turbo, dmmiller2k. I have the Turbo as well and love it. If your phone is in your pocket and it somehow holds the power button down until the boot animation is seen, it can force the phone to optimize the apps. You should only press the power button once and not hold it when turning the phone on/off. Have you tried to power down the phone with briefly pressing the power button only and then power it back up? Do you still get this error? Have you thought about getting a case for your device to prevent accidental holding of the power button while in your pocket?

AllisonC_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
dmmiller2k
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't think the power button is what's doing it, since holding down the power button turns off the "Power Off" popup and I get a blank screen after 8 seconds, as the phone abruptly powers off. However, the "Storage space running out" message may have been a clue, and perhaps the system cache needed to be cleared, because I did that, and it's been OK ever since. Prior to that, I have always restarted it manually immediately after it rebooted itself.

It's probably not long enough to really tell if it's fixed, since it never spontaneously rebooted more often than once in a very great while (could be several days or more). Actually that's not true; on one day it did reboot twice in an afternoon, but that's the only time they came that close together.

Oddly, it has only ever rebooted in the afternoon, never at any other time of day. A clue, maybe? I don't know.

This surely CANNOT be the first time you're hearing of this behavior, since I've found what seems like hundreds of references to it on the internet.

Have you ever successfully fixed this particular issue for someone (apart from sending out a new phone)? What circumstances have you found that cause the rebooting? What if anything fixed it? As a technical professional, I'd really like to know (I'm a software developer for a financial services company, not a mobile developer, so no threat to Verizon or yourself).

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dmmiller2k,

We want to make sure we have your phone in optimal condition. We have our sleeves rolled up and digging in. We would need to have you run the device in Safe Mode http://spr.ly/6584B7Pn0. This mode allows us to see if this is an application causing this to happen or if it is the software. It will lead us down the right path.

RobinD_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
dmmiller2k
Enthusiast - Level 2

The phone is still working since I cleared the system cache several days ago.

If I were to follow your advice and reboot it into safe mode, it might be days before the issue showed its head, and much longer still before it could be concluded that the issue no longer exists, during all of which time I'd be without apps I rely upon every day. So I am loathe to do this for any length of time.

Instead, I was hoping you wold acknowledge that this is a known bug (in the hardware, or in the Verizon customization of the Motorola Android OS implementation), and would admit whether it is fixed in a forthcoming OS update. Absent that, I presume you have a list of known apps (or combinations thereof) that were previously found to cause the XT1254 to spontaneously reboot (and under what specific conditions), and I would appreciate that list

And while we're on the subject, could you give me an ETA for that forthcoming update, whether or not it fixes this issue? Please don't bother referring me to the Motorola Software Update page (Motorola Support - Find Answers | Motorola Mobility, Inc. ); there's no real info there, just a statement that:

This device will be upgraded to the Android 6 (Marshmallow) release of Android, pending partner support.

but no ETA or any real further info, for that matter. I suppose "pending partner support" refers to you guys, no? So you should know.

As an alternative, please feel free to contact me at my personal email address -- it's on my Motorola Profile.

Thanks,

- David

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Droid Turbo
Forgive typos, grammatical errors, inappropriate remarks, offensive comments and incorrect facts.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dmmiller2k,

Our goal is always to have your phone work awesome. It's great to hear that since the cache was cleared this is now working great. I definitely hope that continues. This isn't a known issue that is common with your phone and while we are always hoping to improve the phone with updates there isn't anything specific to this that has been announced.

It can be hard to isolate which apps are causing an issue like this because there are so many apps and so many factors. There are hundreds of thousands of Android apps and any one of them could cause an issue. It isn't always even one app. You can have two apps that work fine on the phone but cause issues when used together. Because of this there isn't any sort of a list. If it worked well in safe mode we'd then still have some trial and error to do but it would at least narrow down the issue to an app. If it is working well though that may well not be needed.

As for the update I certainly understand wanting your phone to have access to the latest and greatest software. Partner approval can mean a lot of things but we're certainly one partner. We do put updates through some testing before pushing it out but that is one step in a long process to get an update out and only after the update is done. We don't have an ETA and we generally don't provide one because until everything is done that would at best be a guess. Everything could be ready to go and then a major issue could be found right at the end of testing. When the update is ready we will add it to our software updates page http://vz.to/14Y5fXy and that sometimes can be a few days before it releases. On our end we'd find out at the same time you do.

AndrewT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes