How do I enable USB mass storage?
sierrad

I am trying to use recovery software (Recuva) to replace deleted photos. When connecting to my laptop, I can only choose Media Device (MTP) or Camera (PTP). Recuva cannot find my phone without USB Mass Storage enabled but that option seems to no longer exist? What can I do to enable this?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can't enable USB Mass Storage
Montel2
Enthusiast - Level 3

You need to enable USB debugging on phone, so the computer can see it as a storage device.

1. Go into Settings, then scroll down to the bottom and click on About Phone.
  2. Scroll down to the bottom to where it says “Build Number”.
  3. Tap on “Build number” 7 times. After the third tap, Android will start counting down on how many taps are left before you can access the developer options, with a playful “You are now [insert number of remaining taps] steps away from being a developer”.
  4. After the 7th tap, you’ll get a “You are now a developer!” message.
  5. Now, go back to the main settings screen, and voila, the “Developer options” menu will be visible at the bottom, just above “About phone”!
  6. Developer options->enable USB debugging

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello sierrad,

We are passionate about our customer's wireless happiness. Please allow me to assist and showcase this passion today. May I ask what computer and operating system are you using? If you are using a Windows based computer then have you verified that your security software isn't blocking the connection between the device and the software? If not then I would suggest checking this out first. Let me know the results once you have done so.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Montel2
Enthusiast - Level 3

You need to enable USB debugging on phone, so the computer can see it as a storage device.

1. Go into Settings, then scroll down to the bottom and click on About Phone.
  2. Scroll down to the bottom to where it says “Build Number”.
  3. Tap on “Build number” 7 times. After the third tap, Android will start counting down on how many taps are left before you can access the developer options, with a playful “You are now [insert number of remaining taps] steps away from being a developer”.
  4. After the 7th tap, you’ll get a “You are now a developer!” message.
  5. Now, go back to the main settings screen, and voila, the “Developer options” menu will be visible at the bottom, just above “About phone”!
  6. Developer options->enable USB debugging
0 Likes