How do I sync Phone Contacts with Google Contacts?
WCM2013
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a Droid Maxx.  I want my contact lists to stay synchronized.  I need to have contacts in the "Phone Contacts" list solely for the purpose of having them available for Verizon Messages + on my PC.  I "think" I have been able to import my Google Contacts into Phone Contacts.  I say "think" because my phone is currently importing 2600 contacts, and I only have 960 in Google.  I am afraid of the mess I am about to have to deal with.

Assuming I am able to work with whatever my phone is now importing, how do I keep it synced with Google?  Do I have to clear and re-import every time I add, delete or edit a Google contact?  Or will Verizon Cloud keep my data synced automatically?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: How do I sync Phone Contacts with Google Contacts?
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I'm not positive what you're asking, when you say Google are you talking about your G-Mail account? Or do you use Google Drive and Verizon Cloud?

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Contacts that you save under "Phone" can be sync'd to your Verizon Cloud, but contacts saved under your e-mail will not sync, though they will be stored in your e-mail and when you add your e-mail log in to your device it should sync up all your contacts.

If I edit a contact saved under Phone and I want it to change in the cloud, I simply back it up.

If I edit a contact saved under my e-mail address, I do nothing. Changes made online, or on my phone are automatically the same no matter where I'm looking at it.

0 Likes
WCM2013
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the response.  My email log-in (gmail) is already added to my device, but my contacts do not sync (unless you're just talking about sync of Google data between my computer and my phone). To be sure I understand what you're saying:

1. There's no way to have an ongoing sync between Google Contacts and Verizon's contacts.
  2. The only way to change Verizon contacts is to edit them on the phone and upload the changes to the Cloud.

If this is the case, then this is not worth the trouble and Message + may not be worth using.

WCM2013
Enthusiast - Level 3

Not sure I understand the question re Google Contacts.  GC is Google's address book, and is accessible by its other apps, such as gmail.

Verizon phone contacts are backed up to the Cloud (and there are vestiges of the Cloud's predecessor, Backup Assistant) on the phone.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

If G-Mail works the same as my using Hotmail, which I believe it does, Verizon Cloud will back up Verizon related items; gallery photos, gallery videos, Message+ text threads, Contacts located on "Phone" etc. It won't back up anything 3rd party related.

You could use Google Drive, though I am not familiar with it, it may back up contacts located both in Phone and that are linked via your G-Mail account.

What's your ultimate goal?

It sounds like you should be doing things one way or the other, but that you're doing it 2 ways - like myself. Occasionally I sit and go through my contacts and add them into either my personal Hotmail and my work hotmail and delete them from the Cloud. I find it easier to have them sync to my phone from my e-mail because I can easily use the computer to add notes and make changes and they sync quickly.

0 Likes
WCM2013
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks.  My ultimate goal is just to have my contacts available in Verizon Message +.  I travel a lot and VM+ is the only SMS program I have found that works with the inflight wifi on airplanes.

I use gSyncit to keep my MS Exchange contacts and gmail in sync, and therefore I can edit my contacts in either.  I had disabled (or maybe just hidden) the Verizon "Phone" contact functionality, because it didn't keep my contacts up to date and in some apps it would push old data (e.g., the old company info for a contact who had changed jobs).

I'm surprised that either Google or Verizon doesn't provide some way to keep Google contacts synchronized with Android (Google) phones, but maybe there's some reason for it.

JTinHB
Enthusiast - Level 3

Export your Google contacts and upload them in your Verizon account.

0 Likes