Re: Marshmallow Update.........Anyone got it yet?
johnhc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well It seems that even using Verizon's SUA doesn't work. many of us check using it a couple of times a day and still nada. I check using the phones check for update a few times during the day as I travel a lot and have been in a few major cities and figure since they roll out to different areas I might have luck in one city versus another... but nope no luck there and no luck using Motorola's own software updater as well ( I have Verizon's SUA on one computer and Motorola's on another - just so they don't interfere with each other )

Anduiril
Enthusiast - Level 3

I wasn't trying to explain why it was taking so long.  You may be correct that they are having problems and rolling it out slowly.  I was just trying to share the explanation that I was given as to why the Check for Updates on our phones wasn't working.  My calls to tech support were trying to figure out why mine wasn't.

I agree with you that we should be able to get the update ourselves.  Which was how it worked before (with other phones).

Here are a few more details about my calls.  After a couple calls to VZW, I finally got a Tier 2 tech who compared my kernel and baseband version to what their system is showing as the latest version.  And gave me the number for Motorola thinking that my phone was the problem.  I called them a few times. At one point I got a Tier 2 tech that told me that manually updating my phone would void my warranty.  I asked for her supervisor at that point.  He told me that Motorola had disabled the manual update feature on the phone.  I got a different number for Motorola from him to verify that. After a few unsuccessful attempts at navigating their automated service I finally got a person.  He was able to pull up my incident number and sent it to Tier 3 support and told me that I would hear from them within the next business day.  I was expecting a call on Monday.  But about 5:30 yesterday the Tier 3 tech called me back and explained the change in how the Check for Updates feature on our phone worked now.

I did call VZW back and let them know what the tech from Motorola had told me requesting that they check with Motorola and update their (VZW update) page.  Since it was a Friday night I doubt they will do anything (IF they do at all) until Monday though.

0 Likes
Anduiril
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had a heck of a time getting SUA to install but somewhere in my reading I did see that the SUA might take a week to update.  I wish I had thought to ask the Tier 3 tech about when it would update.

0 Likes
UJZ100
Enthusiast - Level 3

I wasn't accusing you of lying.

I feel like Verizon has been mum about it because they either screwed up or they can't fix it after they added their bloatware.

Their support in this matter has been awful.

Anduiril
Enthusiast - Level 3

I didn't think you were.

And you are probably right about it taking so long because something got messed up.  I would guess involving making all the Verizon apps system apps.

And yes the tech support could be better but Motorola might be partially to blame there since most of us that are upset about the manual update not working like we expect it to.

I'm a field service technician and know all to well about trying to fix a problem and then finding out that there was a software change the I wasn't told about.

The sad thing is that we will probably never find out where the real problem is.  It'll just get fixed and they will expect us to be happy that it's fixed.

UJZ100
Enthusiast - Level 3

Not if I return my phone first lol

0 Likes
UJZ100
Enthusiast - Level 3

They are ignoring my questions about the update on Twitter now. #wow

0 Likes
rbird2
Enthusiast - Level 3

I keep trying to do a Manual System Update via the phone and trying to use the Software Upgrade Assistance (SUA) program. Both do nothing.

There are also a lot of upset Droid Turbo 2 owners on the Verizon forums that also have seen nothing. In all the fotums I have looked at, I have not read of anyone (other than soaktest) that has received Marshmallow on their Droid Turbo 2.

This is a total disaster! Someone needs to come clean and stop lying to us. The Verizon webpage still states Marshmallow is available on 3-1-2016.

We can understand if the rollout has been delayed - just tell us!!!! Stop keeping us in the dark. This is no way to treat your customers.

Jerkfresh
Enthusiast - Level 3

I bet if they removed some of their bloatware the software what work just fine... I bet they don't release it or N for that matter. Should have gotten x force or Nexus

0 Likes
boomerang503
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm asking specifically about the Droid Turbo 2. The reason is that so far, I've been in contact with "Big Red" on 3 different occasions and have been lied to twice, and the 3rd rep that had absolutely no clue as to what they were doing, and am not any closer to having an idea as to what is going on. That 3rd rep suggested the Motorola Device Manger Software from Moto, the problem is that it will not work on the post Lenovo - motorola phones. They are not supported by that software.

As for Bloatware.....I say that ALL DROID DEVICES - NO MATTER THE MANUFACTURER should be treated in the same regard as the Nexus line. Download the Pure OS from Google and bypass the garbage that all the carriers seem to think that we might care about......which we do not. (It also seems that Google is about the only people that can handle a software update without their computers/ servers dying.)

0 Likes