Motorola Moto Z4 touchscreen issues
billklee
Enthusiast - Level 2

I bought a Moto Z4 shortly before Thanksgiving, and have had touchscreen problems ever since. When I tap an icon or a key on an on-screen keyboard, most of the time it works as it should, opening or launching whatever the icon should do. Sometimes, though, it doesn't work, with varied failures. Sometimes, nothing happens, sometimes, the icon highlights, but "freezes" at that point, and I have to tap it again (repeatedly, sometimes) or hit the back button. At that point, it's a toss-up if it's going to complete the tap, or just de-highlight and do nothing. Other times, it treats a tap like a tap & hold, popping up whatever would normally pop up *if* I'd done a tap & hold. I also have problems scrolling - sometimes it *won't* scroll, then suddenly shoot to the top or bottom of whatever I was scrolling through. And at times, if I swipe left or right to change screens, it treats the point I touched the screen as if I'd tapped it, or tapped & held.

Thinking something I'd put on the phone was causing the problem, even though every app I'd installed I've used before on other phone w/out problem, I did a factory reset, and had the same problem when I was entering my g-mail address, just about the *first* thing you can do with an android phone. Obviously, whatever the problem is, it's not caused by anything I've installed on the phone.

I took it into a Verizon store, explained the problem, and was shipped out a new Moto Z4. Same problem, right down to doing a factory reset and having it happen at that point.

So, I give up. I can't return it for a better phone, since it's been more than 14 days. My next option, as per technical support, is to swap it again, this time for a used phone. A used phone? Seriously? I'm supposed to trade in a new phone for a used one?

In any event, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions about what might be causing the problem, and how I can fix it? I've spent a *lot* of time googling this, and haven't found squat.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Motorola Moto Z4 touchscreen issues
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your month old phone is still technically a used phone not a new phone. The replacement phone might have actually been used by the previous for less time than a month. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
billklee
Enthusiast - Level 2

True

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

One option available to you is to call the Motorola customer service and ask them what repair options are available. The warranty is through the manufacturer and they might be able to repair or if it can't be repaired then replace the phone under warranty. The main hitch is you would need to send the phone to them for the repair. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

billklee
Enthusiast - Level 2

I spoke with Verizon tech support yesterday. The only option I have is for them to send me another phone, and for me to send back the one I have. I'm not too thrilled at this idea, since the first two Z4s I've had, have had the same problem. I also wasn't too thrilled when the person I talked to told me they could charge me for damage to my current phone if they found the least crack or scratch on it, or anything else they could interpret as damage.

I also wasn't at all impressed with the shoddy "support" I initially got, but that's a different rant that I probably won't go into.

Bottom line: I don't want to replace it, I want it to work. If the brand-new phone didn't work, and the first replacement I got also didn't work, in the same way, I'm not all that convinced it's a phone worth having.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, that is your option through Verizon Wireless when they are facilitating the warranty claim for Motorola. You still have the option of dealing with the manufacturer, Motorola, directly. Shouldn't you consider all of your options before labeling the product as a lost cause? 

billklee
Enthusiast - Level 2

haven't heard back from Motorola, yet. Of course, I probably haven't tried to contact them correctly, yet. That's what I've been doing tonight, between other chores.

0 Likes
AnnaNichols
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem. I got my phone about a month ago and it randomly freezes and wont respond to anything, then after about 30+ seconds, it says "System UI not responding" or some other app not responding, then unfreezes. This happens sometimes 0 times in a day and other times 20+ times a day. 

billklee
Enthusiast - Level 2

The issue seems to be a problem with chargers. Following a suggestion on the Lenovo / Motorola forums, when unplugged, the problem virtually goes away. By virtually, I mean that in the past two weeks, I've only had the original problem twice while the phone is unplugged. I've replicated it to the point that the touch-screen is totally unresponsive, or partially or incorrectly responsive while plugged in, but as soon as I unplug it, it works fine.

I've tested this against the turbo-charger that came with it, a similar one that came with a Motorola G6 (I think it was), a couple of Samsung chargers and a half-dozen other high-end chargers, both AC and DC. All of them cause this problem on the Z4, and on no other phone or device.

Oddly enough, if I use an external battery pack / power bank, no problems at all.

Bottom line: It's still a problem with the phone, but one I can work around easily enough.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for bringing this up to our attention. Have you tried putting the device in Safe Mode? Does it do the same in this mode? 
JavierD_VZW

0 Likes