Razr Maxx Battery No longer lasting
AaronWW

Starting in about September, I started encountering problems where my Droid Razr Maxx went from easily lasting an entire day (or longer), even with moderate use, to barely lasting 12 hours with very little use.

After trying various things, I did a Factory Data reset.  This fixed the problem for a couple of days, but only a couple of days. Verizon sent me a replacement phone in October.  Initially, things were fine. But, after about a week, the problem started happening again.  I got a 2nd replacement phone in December.  This time, I had about a week and half of lasting battery, before the problem resumed.  The last few days, with very little usage (a few text messages. Maybe 2-3 minutes of web access), my battery was dropping drastically.  I lose about 10% an hour for the first few hours.  But, once the battery hits 50%, I have 2, maybe 3 hours, before it dies out.

I have removed the SD card.  To make sure it wasn't some new APP, I avoided adding any new apps, and just added a few that I had for years (one at a time) to see of it was an APP problem.  Yesterday, I convinced one of the stores to replace my SIM card.

To make sure it wasn't some charging problem, I used 2 different Motorola charges. Because I was also traveling, I tried charging the phone at home, at 2 different hotels, and an airport.  No luck.

At this point, there is no original hardware on my current phone that was on the previous 2 phones.  They all suffer from the battery barely lasting with no use.  WiFi is off.  GPS is off.  The OS and the Screen take turns being at the top of my battery monitor.

Anyone else find a sudden drop in battery that they can't seem to fix?  I can't imagine that I got 2 defective phone in a row from warranty replacement, so it must be some software problem that others would have faced.  While a FDR seems to fix the problem for a few days, it's impractical to do that twice a week just to get the phone to last.

Labels (2)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Razr Maxx Battery No longer lasting
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

AaronWW lets make certain that you're able to stay connected! It appears that you've tried a few steps already, but we want to get to the bottom of this issue. Have you tried running the device in Safe Mode to determine whether an application is causing the draining? If not, please try http://vz.to/1jWQTKz

AshleyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
AaronWW

After the last time I got a replacement phone (a few weeks ago), I did not install any apps, to ensure that there was not an APP causing the problem.  So, I have no apps that I could remove.  If there is an app problem, it would be one of the ones that came with the phone, that I cannot uninstall.

I did uninstall the most recent updates to google maps, and turned off auto-sync on gmail, as some others had suggested.  That seemed to help the problem for a couple of days, but the battery life soon returned to it's faster drain.

0 Likes
AaronWW

I should clarify that I do have some APPs on there now (very few) which I only installed after waiting and seeing that the battery drain existed on the phone, even without downloads.  But, the battery drain was evident before I downloaded apps, as I was making sure that they were not the problem. Once I did start downloading the apps, I did so one at a time, and only one app every few days, to make sure none of them had an impact on accelerating the battery drain.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the update AaronWW. It sounds like you've done quite a bit to troubleshoot this issue. If you review your battery usage in Settings, Power. What seems to be using the most battery? What software and baseband version do you have in Settings, About phone?

MarquiaF_VZW

0 Likes
AaronWW

Andriod OS shows as 59% of the battery use.  Screen follows at 20%, and Phone idle at 10%.  The other things on the list each use 2-4% each.

System Version: 98.72.16.XT912.Verizon.en.US

Baseband Version: CDMA_N_05.21.00R LTEDC_U_09.1D.00

Android Version: 4.1.2

(I don't actually see anything labeled as software version.)

Aaron

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

AaronWW wrote:

Andriod OS shows as 59% of the battery use.  Screen follows at 20%, and Phone idle at 10%.  The other things on the list each use 2-4% each.

System Version: 98.72.16.XT912.Verizon.en.US

Baseband Version: CDMA_N_05.21.00R LTEDC_U_09.1D.00

Android Version: 4.1.2

(I don't actually see anything labeled as software version.)

Aaron

All three of those compose the software version of the OS. What you provided is what the rep was requesting.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for providing all of that information AaronWW. It appears that a new update was recently released and is still in a roll out process. To check if you are able to update your software at this time, please go to Settings, About Phone and select System Updates.

AndreaS_VZW

0 Likes
DodgeCityDude

If you lose signal, due to being in poor signal level, or where you store it in your home or any other condition that blocks the signal level, the receiver will go into continuous search mode. This uses up battery power very quickly.  This happened to me once and was surprised as to how fast the battery ran out.

The phone normally is in sleep mode when not in use and turns on periodically to check for calls, etc. (very quickly) then goes bacteria to sleep.  If there is no signal it will stay on draining the battery. 

0 Likes
AaronWW

My phone did update the software to the newest version.  It has not had any significant impact on the battery issue

0 Likes