Voicemail icon won't work via WiFi
lindakathy

When I'm using WiFi the following happens.

When I click on the Voicemail icon,  I get the twirling thingy

with the message "please wait" signing in.   After about a

minute, I get a message that "Data connection is not available.

Please try again when connection is restored."

If I switch to "Mobile Data", I connect right away.

If I dial *86, I can retrieve my voicemail.

Why doesn't the icon work with wifi?

Thanks.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Voicemail icon won't work via WiFi
Not applicable

Voice mail doesn't use data, does it?  Why would it have anything to do with being on WIFI, 3G, or 4G?

Edit:  I just checked mine and I'm connected to WIFI and connected to voice mail with no problems.  Maybe you're using some sort of voice mail app that uses data.  Are you subscribed to Visual Voicemail?  Maybe that uses data.

0 Likes
lindakathy

Thanks for checking.

I'm using the voicemail ap that came on the front of the phone.

(only have had phone for a couple of weeks)

Only one that I know of....besides the one you pay for.

I don't know why it matters either, but it happens all the time

I use wifi only....no connection.

I turn off wifi and use the 4g and I connect.

I dial *86 and connect.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Well, the obvious solution is to not use that app.  I didn't know it existed until I was checking this for you.  I just dial *86.  Maybe there is a setup for the app that allows it to use WIFI.

0 Likes
Not applicable

jimfitzgerald wrote:

Well, the obvious solution is to not use that app.  I didn't know it existed until I was checking this for you.  I just dial *86.  Maybe there is a setup for the app that allows it to use WIFI.

Well you got me wondering and I just ran and tested my wifes Razr and I clicked on the voicemail icon on the screen and it came up with connect to voicemail or buy visual voice mail. I clicked on dial voice mail and it connected perfectly. I am on wifi and no 4g

0 Likes
Not applicable

That's exactly what mine did.  I looked at the app and did not see a setup.  Maybe there is some other setting on her phone that won't allow it to use WIFI for that app.

0 Likes
lindakathy

Thank you for test.

I just called myself and left a voicemail.

I got a notification in the "time" circle that says

1 new voicemail, dial *86.

I guess it's no biggie.

I can access my voicemails.

I'm just the curious type and want to find the problem.

Thank you.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

For what it's worth, my Voice Mail app has been squirrelly since my Bionic updated to Jelly Bean ... it's the only issue I've run into so far with the update and it really isn't an issue for me, although the behavior is puzzling.  If I have wi-fi on and I press the Voice Mail app, I get the same response as you ... a pop-up saying to 'please wait, signing in' and after as much as 60 seconds, I'll get the 'data connection not available, please retry' note.  Below the note are two buttons, 'try again' and 'call *86'.  If I press the 'call *86' button, it goes to my VM.

If I have cellular data turned on and press the VM app, I get the same response as electorny ... the screen shows me how many VM mesages I have and at the bottom, I have two buttons to either 'call voicemail' or 'subscribe to visual voice mail for $2.99/mo'.  If I press 'call voicemail', it goes to my VM.

If I have both wi-fi and cellular data turned off and press the VM app, I immediately get a message that 'data connection is not available, please retry when connection is restored' with the buttons to 'try later' or 'call *86'.  If I press 'call *86', it goes to my VM.

Why is this happening?  I have no idea.  Why is it not an issue for me?  Because I don't use that app.  I set up a contact long ago in my contacts list for VM that's set for *86,,xxxx where the x's are my VM password.  I then put a direct dial widget for that VM contact on my home screen.  Whenever I see in my notification bar that I have missed calls, I use that app and it goes straight to voice mail, inputs my password, and tells me how many messages I have.  That works for me and my preferences (YMMV).

0 Likes
mmurtha

Mine quit working too while using wifi, so I went to verizon - the 2 women that waited on me said it has nothing to do with verizon.  But I find that funny because the screen that comes up when I'm trying to go to voicemail thru using the app's icon says to "either call voicemail using *89 or subscribe to visual voice mail for $2.99/mo." My question then is why would the screen that comes up give the same exact charges that verizo charges?  The only thing I can think of is that the last update motorola did was dictated by verizon - beings these particular phones were made for verizon. If anyone noticed, the regular voice mail's limits changed as well so people almost have to get the visual voice mail.

Personally, I think it stinks to try to get customers to pay more for something like voice mail. It's another way to get another fee tacted on.  The new data plans are a crock too. They don't pay anymore for data now then they did a year or 2 ago.  It's like the internet, I can surf on it all I want for as long as I want.  TWC tried to limit data usage so they could make more money but it fell through ... their customer base sqwalked so much and threatened to leave. 

It stinks ...

0 Likes
mmurtha

@ jimfitzgerald  - I'm not sure what you posted after my post. It appears it's deleted, but if it has anything to do with your post above about checking and changing the settings for the app, there is no way to do it from our end.  I know verizon can change some settings on their end.

0 Likes