Why is wi-fi using up my battery when it's turned off?
LesleyAnn
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi.  I burn through my battery in a quarter of the time it did when my RAZR was new (June 2013). This started about five weeks ago.  In the Setting for Battery, Wi-Fi usage was 33%, (Voice Calls and Phone Idle followed at 20% each.)  I'm retired and my phone use is very simple.  I don't play games, watch movies.....rarely do I check my email.  I occasionally use Google Maps.  Last week I took it into a Vzn store for tech advice and the man asked me if I use the web at places like Starbucks, other hot spots - very rarely, if ever. So he advised me to turn it off and keep "Auto-Connect" off, "Notify me" on.  This way I can turn it on when I choose to; at home where I have Wi-Fi, for example.  That was last week and it is still using 30%-plus.  I keep checking the settings, and often the Wi-Fi seems to have turned itself on again.  Am I crazy?  Why is it using so much of my battery?

I followed my son's advice and let the battery completely drain, then rebooted it.  This helped but didn't last so I've done it a few more times.  I also tried letting it drain to under 5% before charging, with the same results.  Every evening at about 7:30, the recorded message, "Verizon Wireless" is announced.  I have a network extender and the GPS light is blinking red right now (I haven't had time to reboot it yet).  Sometimes I see a message on the "screen-behind-the screen," (when you run your finger from the top of the screen downward)................"Searching for GPS."  But what's interesting is that I'm not always at home when this happens.  My son just told me that I am being charged for Roaming and that I should ask Verizon for a solution.  And here we are!

Labels (2)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why is wi-fi using up my battery when it's turned off?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry you're having such difficulties with your battery life LesleyAnn. Let's figure out what's going on. Do you know if you've done any updates on the phone in the last 5 weeks? Do you know if you have any Battery Saving or Task Killer apps? If so, please delete. Also, please try clearing memory, (which won't delete anything from your phone), then restart the phone. Let's see if this helps.  http://vz.to/175CGHt

Thank you,
VanessaS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry you're having such difficulties with your battery life LesleyAnn. Let's figure out what's going on. Do you know if you've done any updates on the phone in the last 5 weeks? Do you know if you have any Battery Saving or Task Killer apps? If so, please delete. Also, please try clearing memory, (which won't delete anything from your phone), then restart the phone. Let's see if this helps.  http://vz.to/175CGHt

Thank you,
VanessaS_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I apologize LesleyAnn. I also wanted to comment about your WiFi Setting. In addition to the previous steps, just to see how things will work, please try going to Settings>Wifi>Off. And make sure WiFi is off altogether. You can still turn on manually when you choose to. Please keep us posted.

Thank you,
VanessaS_VZW

0 Likes
LesleyAnn
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks.  I have cleared the cache, history and cookies just now.  I will track battery use and get back to you.

Lea

0 Likes
LesleyAnn
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, I'd already done this and do not see any activity on the Settings/Battery, percentages used by function (Screen, phone idle, etc.) anymore.  Can you tell me what I'm doing to cause 'Phone Idle' usage percentage amount high (30% now)?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

LesleyAnn-

Great question! "Phone Idle" is when your device is on but not is use. If "Phone Idle" is high it does not mean that it is draining your battery faster, actually the opposite. "Phone Idle" being high in your battery usage is not bad becasue it uses less power then every other app or system process that use the battery power on your phone.

LindseyT_VZW

0 Likes
Montel2
Enthusiast - Level 3

when your in the WiFi main screen->select menu->advanced->keep WIFI on during Sleep->"only when plugged in", and that may help reduce battery drain when it is off/asleep.

0 Likes