emails disappearing
MikeHoggatt

I recently upgraded from my android phone to android turbo 2.  On my previous phone, emails would stay unless I deleted them.  On the Android Turbo 2, emails are deleted each time the phone sync's to the server.  The email server uses POP.  Never had a problem until I upgraded to Turbo 2.  I know I can set my computer to not delete emails when read from the server.  However, I would like to have it working like it did on my older phone.  Any ideas?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: emails disappearing
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Correct, in that it doesn't disappear from the server if you don't delete it on the phone. It might not be available on the phone if it is older than the number of days the sync setting is configured for. For example if you set the phone to only sync a weeks worth of emails, an email received on Monday, January 4th, will no longer be viewed on the phone on Tuesday, January 12th. As long as you didn't delete it, the email is still housed on the email server.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

Anne_De
Enthusiast - Level 3

Please, someone answer this question.  I have a similar issue.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It depends on if the phone is only syncing a certain number of days worth of emails or if the emails are being deleted from the server every time the phone syncs with the server because you deleted them on the phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Anne_De
Enthusiast - Level 3

I only synced it once manually, and that was before I noted the loss.  Does the phone sync on its own?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It can. That's what background sync entails.

Anne_De
Enthusiast - Level 3

If I  understand correctly then, if I did not delete the message on my phone, then it should not disappear during a sync,  right?

Thank you for your patience with an older gal who is not very tech savvy !

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Correct, in that it doesn't disappear from the server if you don't delete it on the phone. It might not be available on the phone if it is older than the number of days the sync setting is configured for. For example if you set the phone to only sync a weeks worth of emails, an email received on Monday, January 4th, will no longer be viewed on the phone on Tuesday, January 12th. As long as you didn't delete it, the email is still housed on the email server.

Anne_De
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks ever so much.

0 Likes
nicholas_g
Contributor - Level 3

Where are you pulling emails from? Google? You need to make sure you select to leave a copy of the email on the mail server otherwise when it pulls email it will take the original and not leave a copy. IMAP downloads a copy of the email but requires constant communication between your device and the mail server. Think of it as a cache vs downloading the entire content with POP.

Anne_De
Enthusiast - Level 3

Got it now, thank you. No more "lost" mail 🙂

0 Likes