Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dailing UK from a US cell while in the UK
nnk_ascii

Hello,

I'll be traveling to England (and Ireland) later this week and bringing my (US) cell phone. I've looked around but have been unable to find any good instructions on calling an England cell phone from my US cell while in England (everything just explains how to call England from the US, etc). This question also applies to texting, which I assume would be the same.

Would I simply dial 011 44 <England cell number>? Or do I just dial/text it as if I'm on a local UK line? For example, if the person's cell number (as was given to me) is 0773 123 45670773 123 4567 is that all I need to dial? Thanks.

Note: This all assumes I've already taken care of the int'l plan, etc etc.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Dailing UK from a US cell while in the UK
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Since you are NOT on a local UK line, you would have to dial as if you were making the call from the US. Verizon international rates would apply.

If you want to dial as if you were on a local UK line, you can get a local SIM card and then you would be able to call as if you were on a local UK line because your phone would now be a local UK line. The charges would be much reduced over the Verizon international rates. You would simply have to get your new number to the people you would like to be able to reach you.

To go back to your US number, simply switch SIM cards back.

Of course, the above assumes that you have a Verizon global capable phone. For the most part, any current Verizon 4G phone would fall into this category. If you don't have a 4G phone, you would have to check to see if your phone is global capable and would possibly have to contact Verizon in order to unlock it to accept a foreign SIM card.Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Since you are NOT on a local UK line, you would have to dial as if you were making the call from the US. Verizon international rates would apply.

If you want to dial as if you were on a local UK line, you can get a local SIM card and then you would be able to call as if you were on a local UK line because your phone would now be a local UK line. The charges would be much reduced over the Verizon international rates. You would simply have to get your new number to the people you would like to be able to reach you.

To go back to your US number, simply switch SIM cards back.

Of course, the above assumes that you have a Verizon global capable phone. For the most part, any current Verizon 4G phone would fall into this category. If you don't have a 4G phone, you would have to check to see if your phone is global capable and would possibly have to contact Verizon in order to unlock it to accept a foreign SIM card.Smiley Happy

0 Likes
nnk_ascii

Great, thanks. (The phone is global so no worries there, Galaxy S4.) So basically it would just be 011 44 773 123 4567? Or I think optionally + 44 773 123 4567?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

That sounds like a fun trip! Thanks rcschnoor for your info. Nnk_ascii, you can also find dialing instructions and all info at vzw.com/tripplanner. After you enter your trip details, select the tab for Dialing Instructions.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes