Can a T-Mobile device be used on Verizon?
J929

Need help to resolve if a T Mobil phone can be used on Verizon's network or not?  I've been told the two networks are incompatiable ?  But have also read that one could be granted permission from Verizon to obtain a Electronic Serial Number to be coded with the phone thus allowing it to work on their network?  Has anyone been successful in doing this ?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can a T Mobil phone be used on Verizon?
Weth
Legend

In most cases, no you cannot use a Tmobile phone on Verizon. There are a few exceptions. If you tell us the exact model of the phone in question (which includes the model number), we can tell you if it will work on Verizon.

It is very true that the two system are not compatible for a number of reasons: Tmobile is GSM and Verizon is CDMA based. The frequencies each system uses if completely different. So you need a phone that supports both GSM and CDMA technology and supports all the frequencies used at Tmobile AND Verizon. There are very few phones that can do both.

There are actually more Verizon phones that are compatible with Tmobile than there is Tmobile phones compatible with Verizon.

View solution in original post

Weth
Legend

In most cases, no you cannot use a Tmobile phone on Verizon. There are a few exceptions. If you tell us the exact model of the phone in question (which includes the model number), we can tell you if it will work on Verizon.

It is very true that the two system are not compatible for a number of reasons: Tmobile is GSM and Verizon is CDMA based. The frequencies each system uses if completely different. So you need a phone that supports both GSM and CDMA technology and supports all the frequencies used at Tmobile AND Verizon. There are very few phones that can do both.

There are actually more Verizon phones that are compatible with Tmobile than there is Tmobile phones compatible with Verizon.

alicias_vzw
Verizon Employee

J929,

Help is here! We certainly want to make sure you enjoy the phone you are using. This is a great question, as it can be done with certain phones. Since we do have very different networks, even if we can get a phone from another carrier to activate, we cannot guarantee that all features/functions of the phone will work. Can I ask why you want to use another carrier’s phone? Are there any issues with your current Verizon phone that we can help with? Below is a list of devices from other carriers that can be activated on our network.

•    Apple iPhone 6

•    Apple iPhone 6 Plus

•    Apple iPhone SE (A1662 only; A1723 is not compatible)

•    Apple iPhone 6s

•    Apple iPhone 6s Plus

•    Nexus 6

AliciaS_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

The iPhone 6 from T-mobile is likely a GSM version only. 

Your best bet is to run the IMEI here. Bring Your Own Phone or Device - BYOD | Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Tmobile iPhone 6 is actually one of the few that will work.

whitsett3

What about the IPhone XR?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure you are aware if a particular device will function with our network. For this matter, we attached a link to our website where you will find our Bring Your Own Device page. On it, you will be able to see if a device you have available will function on our network. https://www.verizonwireless.com/onedp/byod#/ DavidR_VZW

0 Likes
Re: Can a T-Mobile device be used on Verizon?
tcjenkine

I have a old t mobile tablet. Can I convert it to Verizon 

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

@tcjenkine wrote:

I have a old t mobile tablet. Can I convert it to Verizon 

Did you follow the link in the post directly before yours?

https://www.verizonwireless.com/onedp/byod#/

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is a great questions. As long as the table it compatible you can activate it on an existing line or open a new line of service for your tablet. You can see if your tablet is compatible via this link:https://www.verizonwireless.com/od/prepaid/bring-your-own-device/#/checkDevice

JavierD_VZW

0 Likes