Device trade-in Promotional Scams
JR0193
Enthusiast - Level 1

Warning to Verizon Customers. I recently participated in a promotional offer where you would receive $800 promotional value when trading in an eligible Samsung device. After the store printed me shipping labels I sent the eligible old device in (Galaxy S9). After recieving the device, verizon now states they received an old S5, which supposedly has the same IMEI number as the Galaxy S9 I sent them. They therefore will not provide the $800 trade in value. When searching the IMEI number I was able to confirm it belonged to the S9. I provided proof to customer service that the correct device was sent to no avail. I have had this looked into twice.  Unless they heavily overhaul their trade in system I recommend customers do NOT take part in promotional trade ins. 

Re: Device trade-in Promotional Scams
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for reaching out to our Social Media team for continued support. This isn't the experience we want any person to have. Please send us a Private message to provide account specific help.

-Carter

0 Likes
Sujarora
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have recently had a similar experience.  I should have read the comments before switching from TMobile.  We did the math (according to the promotions and trade in) and it seemed like switching would make economical sense.  However, that would only be true, if Verizon honored the values of the trade-ins that were quoted. 

I have spent hours on the phone with customer service.  I believe their business model is to just wear the cutomer down until they give in.  Completely frustrated.  Never had this sort of experience with previous carrier.

We participated in a trade in where we have submitted 3 phones for trade in.  One has not yet been received (yet we have the tracking that it has been received) and the 2 others, we were given 17% and 33% of the amount estimated.  For one of these phones, they claim that it was not the phone that we had said.  We have the box of the phone showing a Google Pixel 5a.  The other phone, they did not provide a reason.  

It is a very dishonest business model.  I caution anyone thinking of switching to Verizon.  Do not believe that you will get the trade in amount that they quote.  You will spend hours on the phone with customer service or chat and get nowhere!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand how important it is for your trade in to run smoothly. Were the devices sent back to us using the correct trade in kit for the correct device? Additionally, you should have the submission ID for the trade in's. All of your trade in details will be listed on the submission ID. This would include the IMEI for the device we received, as well as what was submitted for the trade in. Have you checked the submission ID to check these details? What is the resolution listed in your submission ID for the other trade in? 

*Ellisandra

0 Likes
jennk1
Contributor - Level 1

@Sujarora 

My recommendation would be to submit a claims to the FCC.   It’s super easy!

I gave Verizon what felt like a thousand chances to make it right - phone calls, online chat, corresponding via these message boards, etc - and they gas lighted me by justifying their messed up system or made empty promises to fix it and follow through - it was a complete waste of days and hours of aggravation on my part.    Once I submitted my complaint to the FCC, I received a call from someone in the Verizon “executive office” who actually wanted to help me and had the intellectual capacity to hear what I was saying, understand it, and come up with a plan he could execute to fix it.    My credits are finally showing up as promised.   

Hopefully this will also help others in the future - if the FCC gets enough complaints, they could document a pattern and intervene to force Verizon to get their act together.   

Good Luck!

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

Sujarora
Enthusiast - Level 2

@jennk1 Thanks!  I will try that!

Sujarora
Enthusiast - Level 2

For one of the submission IDs - it just shows the trade in credit as being $29.70 - with no reason given.  No details.

For the next submission ID - it states that the trade in value was adjusted to $18.72.  The reason tated is 'Device carrier was different than expected.'  For this phone, the only option was 'Other' in the drop-down menu...so, I don't know how it was different than 'Other'.  Incorrect details.

For the last submission ID, it states the phone was not received.  However, our shipping label shows the phone was delivered.  Incorrect details.

We actually have another phone for trade in, but we will be holding on to it.  I think throwing it away would be better than trading in.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We would be happy to assist you with your concern. Please private message us for further assistance.  *Mabell

0 Likes
migreco

I have been a customer for over 25 years. I purchased 4 new phones on the trade-in. ALL of my phones were in cases from day 1 with screen protectors. None of them had any issues whatsoever. For the first phone, I received $700 credit, 2 and 3 phones I received $620, and for the 4th phone, I received $400. I videoed the 4th phone being sent in after the UNFAIR reduction on the 2nd and 3rd phone with a note that says if I do not receive full value I do not want to trade the phone in and I am to be contacted. Well, guess what - No contact. What is Verizon doing, they lead you into believing that you will get $800 when trading in, then you go through the process and it said I would receive $700, then they reduce them 2 by $80 and 1 by $300. REALLY, HOW IS THIS FAIR? I don't have the budget to make up for this difference.  What do I do? 

0 Likes