Free Offer for Shaw Academy from Verizon
NameNotTaken
Enthusiast - Level 1

This morning I received a note from " Ronan Dunne, Group CEO, Verizon Consumer" titled "An Update to Our Response to Covid 19." Among other points, it offered Free Access to Learning Tools.

The service for general adult education is called Shaw Academy. I found many reviews on the web of shady business practices of Shaw Academy. The main complaints are unauthorized charges to credit cards and great difficulty in cancelling the service. On TrustPilot.com, about 3/4 of reviewers found the Academy excellent. Look, though, at the 13%, totalling 1,700 people, who strongly cautioned against starting a free trial. 

Hope this is helpful to someone. 

Re: Free Offer for Shaw Academy from Verizon
icashootnstar
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the heads up. I, too found the offer attractive and wasted a lot of time browsing the offerings only to find I couldn't do any of the classes without a credit card. This is a horrible, deceitful maneuver by Verizon and not a respectful way to treat your customers. 

0 Likes
AmandainDenver

I am about to finish the 8 session Excel class and was never asked for my credit card information.  In order to continue with in-depth learning, you do have to sign up for a membership.

0 Likes
icashootnstar
Enthusiast - Level 2

Interesting... It wouldn't let me register without one.

tkpro
Enthusiast - Level 2

I’m pretty sure I wasted a reward on shaw academy(it could have been an “extra”)......either way, Verizon presented it as tho it was some kind of exclusive offer with added value .....😑
like they want credit for negotiating to make it available when it’s the normal sign up deal shaw offers anyway. 

Lots of company’s spin that garbage tho.   Can’t wait for Elon Musk to put phone company’s out of business. Sigh. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want nothing more than for you to get the most out of our rewards program. Did you need assistance with the Verizon Up program?

0 Likes
icashootnstar
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I tried to use it, they required a credit card to get access to anything. Their consumer ratings are such that I would not want them to have that information, even if they promised not to use it until after the trial period. Personally, I think that sending your customers to this kind of vendor reflects poorly on Verizon.