How are IP addresses assigned for phones?
nbl17
Enthusiast - Level 1

I use the Audacy app on my Galaxy S21 when I go out for walks and like to listen to Philadelphia Phillies games when they are on.  Audacy only allows you to listen to the game if your IP address is located within the DMA (designated market area).

Lately, I've been getting a message when trying to listen to the games from Audacy that I'm not in the Designated Market Area.  Audacy support tells me if you are streaming the game using cellular data there is a chance that the IPv4 IP Address of a cellular data connection might change locations, making it further away from your physical location.

Game streaming is solely based on IP address. They recommend listening to the game via WiFi, as cellular data allocates dynamic IP which obviously isn't possible if I'm walking outdoors.

They further suggested using https://whatismyipaddress.com/  to find the IPv4 address.  I found it to be in York, PA and I'm physically in Delaware.

On a computer, I know that you can RENEW an IP address, what can you do for a phone to try and get a local IP?

0 Likes
Re: How are IP addresses assigned for phones?
nbl17
Enthusiast - Level 1

A full month has gone by and nobody from Verizon Tech Support has addressed this - very disappointed.  I know this is a community forum, but Verizon does monitor it right?

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@nbl17 wrote:

A full month has gone by and nobody from Verizon Tech Support has addressed this - very disappointed.  I know this is a community forum, but Verizon does monitor it right?

Yes, Verizon agents DO monitor/get notifications of posts to this Forum, but 'tech support' may not be their forte'.  Most are level-1 support agents and may choose not to respond if they don't know the answer or how to help.

As a test, I turned off WiFi connected to the 4G Network on my Android moto z4 phone.  I'm in northern Vermont and my cellular IP address assigned is located in Cupertino, California?!?!?  I toggled Airplane Mode and my IP stayed in California but changed. I continued toggling Airplane Mode and my IP continued to change and on the fourth time, it switched to the East Coast in Boston, MA.  Then it changed to Arlington, VA.  There may not be any servers in Vermont to connect to so these may be the ones serving the East Coast.

It looks like toggling Airplane Mode causes the IP address to get changed.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

Additionaly, I am a retired former Verizon Business employee (on the data network side, not wireless).  The cellular IP address lookup for me shows the ISP is Verizon Business.  I'm not sure if this is related to my Verizon Business former employee account connecting to different servers than regular Verizon Wireless customers, or not.  You might post what shows as your cellular ISP to see if it is different than what shows for me.  Needless to say, toggling the Airplane Mode seems to force a change in the IP address and maybe what network DHCP server you connect to.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello and good morning! You've got a great question at hand! We don't have access to these type of accounts through this channel. We recommend contacting the following number for further assistance 800-922-0204. We are confident they will be able to help! ~Christian

0 Likes