How to Correct / Clear the Verizon CNAM Database for Google Voice Numbers
scso1502
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am a Verizon wireless customer, but I recently became a Google Voice customer under a different number. The problem I'm having is when Verizon customers call my Google Voice number, or if I call them, the name on my Google Voice number I use is showing up on their caller ID as the person who owned the Google Voice number before me.

People calling from other carrier's see the correct info, but Verizon customers see the old user's name. I need to get this corrected so people know it's me calling them and not the person who used my Google number previously. The fix is for someone at Verizon to update their CNAM database with my name now the Google Voice number is being used by me.

A call to Verizon customer service did not yield a solution. They claimed I need to contact Google but the Verizon employee clearly doesn't know how caller ID naming works. The service provider of the caller only sends the number and it's up to the receiving service provider (in this case Verizon) to look up the number and match it to a name their database. How that database is updated and how often is unknown, but I imagine it it dynamically flushed and reloaded a predetermined intervals.

Verizon is known for using a cached CNAM database where outside numbers are stored so I need to have them clear this cache or update their database. I'd be happy is they just wiped the old name so just my number was displayed, but as it is now, I'm going to get blocked by people who think my calls are spam unless this gets fixed.

Can someone direct me to the correct person or department in Verizon to correct this? I know many people are in my situation so I'm hope this thread will help many others.

Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: How to Correct / Clear the Verizon CNAM Database for Google Voice Numbers
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

scso1502, please send us a private message so we can help correct your Caller ID issue. Please note we can only address Caller ID issues for your Verizon number. Anything related to your Google number is not a Verizon issue we can resolve. Thank you.

- Alan

0 Likes
scso1502
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello Alan,

As my Community message stated, the problem is not with my Verizon number. The problem is that the CNAM database Verizon uses to attach names to incoming callers to Verizon's network is current for my Google voice number. It shows the old owner's name and not mine. This is a problem with many Google Voice and other VOIP customers. I give up, I'm just gonna accept that the name on the Google Voice number will remain wrong when dealing with Verizon Wireless subscribers. It's just not worth this hassle. 

0 Likes
scso1502
Enthusiast - Level 2

My previous message should have stated NOT current. My apologies for the error. 

0 Likes
1DeeMal
Enthusiast - Level 2

Did they resolve your issue?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello 1DeeMal, thank you for reaching us, we can help you, my name is Rick from Verizon, to solve the situation about your Caller ID, you need to reach the business department, we are available for you 24/7, we can provide you the information to reach them, through 800 number or through business website, to get a customers service representative from business, what is the best option for you?

>Rick

0 Likes
shawn-cronin

I also am having this same issue. Could you kindly provide me the contact information for the business department both 800 number and email. 

Thank you

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Shawn, thank you for reaching out to let us know you need assistance with this as well. While we do not have an email address available the number is the same for Business and Consumer as it routes based on your account setup: 800-922-0204. Thank you for being with us and have a great day!

-Melissa

0 Likes
gmankin

Having the same problem with a former Verizon customers caller id showing up when I use my Google number to call a Verizon customer? Please help me!

0 Likes