Length of time for voicemail to pickup is way too long
kaiasgram

I just spoke with a Verizon rep on the phone who told me that length of time to voicemail pickup is set by the phone's manufacturer. I think it's wrong (dishonest?) to say this.  I believe it's a network decision and not a built-in feature of my iPhone.  Why did Verizon discontinue this option?  30 seconds is just way too long for a caller to have to wait to get someone's voicemail.  

0 Likes
Re: Length of time for voicemail to pickup is way too long
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Whoever told you the voicemail delay was set by the manufacturer, is wrong. The 30 seconds until the call goes to voicemail is set at the system level and can't be changed.

As for the length of time, I don't think it is too long. I have had to cross half of my home within those 30 seconds to answer a call or two. If you read a number of other threads in this community forum, you will find that many customers think it is TOO short of time. You can't please everyone. The 30 seconds seems to be the compromise between too short and too long. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
kaiasgram

Fair enough.  But Verizon should have left this option available to consumers to change according to their needs.  And maybe just be truthful about why the option was discontinued (verizon’s decision, not Apple’s). IMHO

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

As far as I know from my experience, the time of 30 seconds before going to voicemail has been in place for close to 15 years or more. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
kaiasgram

Earlier today when I was trying to find out how to change number of rings, I searched the Verizon website and this turned up:  https://businessdigitalvoice.verizon.com/voicemail-how-to-change-the-number-of-rings-before-calls-go...

I didn't notice at first that this video tutorial is in the Business section.

So I guess this feature is still available for Business customers?   Then, the option still exists for business customers but was discontinued for individual/personal accounts?

But the thing is:  Our Verizon number is a personal account, but we also have a small -- very small -- business, and some of our customers just hang up after 15-20 seconds with no voicemail transfer.  They figure no one is going to answer the phone.  It's just a bummer, that's all.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

That video is for the Verizon landline business and NOT the Wireless network. 

0 Likes
kaiasgram

Right.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello! How re you needing any assistance?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The cellular service voicemail box is set to a static 30-seconds before picking up. TerranceT_VZW