Loss of Promotional Trade in Credit with Device Upgrade
MTX1000000
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have an S21 ultra that has quite a few remaining monthly promotional trade in credits left.

I have received and offer from Samsung to trade that phone in and receive a new S22.  It's not an offer from Verizon.

If I keep my plan, my lines, and everything else the same, and just swap the SIM card to a new device (the Samsung S22), and trade in the existing device (the S21) to Samsung, will I continue to receive the monthly promotional trade in credits?

Elsewhere on the community forum, it looks like people will keep their credit if they upgrade devices and change nothing else.  Can a verizon representative please verify I will keep receiving the promotional trade in credtis if I upgrade a device and change nothing else?

I asked the little chat window and they said that I would, and then they said I wouldn't.  

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Loss of Promotional Trade in Credit with Device Upgrade
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

For Android devices, there is no option for an Early Upgrade. This is only for iPhones, where the customer can return their current iPhone and upgrade to a new one. You can always pay off your Samsung device early and upgrade or trade-in when available. If you purchase a Samsung S22 Ultra outright, then any promotion(s) would be void, and your old Device Payments for the S21 would be billed in full, if you are not trading it in for the S22 Ultra. Also, swapping SIM Cards from an old device to a new device is never recommended, as the new device and new SIM Card are attached to each other, and it makes the activation process seamless. *Andrea

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MTX1000000, that is a great question regarding the promotional credits.  This can be a little tricky when it comes to purchasing a device through Samsung.  You will have to find out from Samsung if the device you are purchasing is billed to your credit card or a Samsung account or if it will appear on your Verizon bill.  If the device is a Verizon phone that will mean it will be billed to your Verizon bill and will cause the current promotion to fall off and you will need to buy out your device.  We have several reasons for a promotion dropping off and that does include upgrading the line to a new device payment.  You can find all of the details on why a promotional credit will fall off here: https://www.verizon.com/support/device-deals-faqs/  The information is found under the section "Deal and promo credits" and question 1.  You will need to speak with Samsung directly to find out how they are going to do the transaction.  

-Santo

0 Likes
MTX1000000
Enthusiast - Level 2

Santo - I reviewed the FAQ you provided.  If I purchase a S22 Ultra outright from Samsung, dispose of my S21 ultra, swap my existing SIM card over to the new phone, and change nothing else, I don't really see anything that would seem to apply in the FAQ. It would not be an early upgrade as I would be swapping to a fully paid device.  I would continue to make device payments  on the S21 ultra as part of my plan.  Is this correct?

The FAQ indicates:

Your promo credits stop if you:

• Cancel your service on a line that's getting a promotion.
    • You'll also be required to pay the remaining balance if on a device payment agreement (Missouri customers have the option of continuing to pay their remaining balance over time).
  • Pay off your device's device payment agreement early.
    • For buy one, get one deals, after 6 months you can pay off the "buy one" device and the promo credits for the "get one" device will continue.
  • Do an early upgrade on a line receiving a promo.
  • Transfer your service to another account.
    • For buy one, get one deals, if you transfer the "get one" device to another account your promo credits stop. If you transfer the "buy one" device within 6 months of getting the device your promo credits will stop.
  • On a buy one, get one promo, if you disconnect the "buy one" device's line within 6 months of ordering the device
    • You're also required to pay the remaining balance of the device payment agreement.
  • Change your mobile plan to one that's not eligible for the deal.
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

For Android devices, there is no option for an Early Upgrade. This is only for iPhones, where the customer can return their current iPhone and upgrade to a new one. You can always pay off your Samsung device early and upgrade or trade-in when available. If you purchase a Samsung S22 Ultra outright, then any promotion(s) would be void, and your old Device Payments for the S21 would be billed in full, if you are not trading it in for the S22 Ultra. Also, swapping SIM Cards from an old device to a new device is never recommended, as the new device and new SIM Card are attached to each other, and it makes the activation process seamless. *Andrea

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

In addition, Samsung may have an Early Upgrade program of their own, but Verizon's eligible devices for an Early Upgrade are listed at the bottom of this page: https://www.verizon.com/support/upgrade-program-legal/. Hopefully the information is beneficial. *Andrea

0 Likes
MTX1000000
Enthusiast - Level 2

Andrea- That's the most clear answer I've received so far. Thank you.

It appears then that you cannot change out an existing android device that has an associated promotional trade in credit, without losing said credit.

0 Likes
pghflyer
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been told by MULTIPLE Verizon chat and phone representatives that we can do precisely what is being asked here.  Bring a phone bought elsewhere and use it on a line with a device payment plan attached, resulting in removing that device but continuing to pay for it (and receive device credits) through the remainder of the agreement.

I don't know why we can't just activate the new SIM on an existing line right through the website, seems like the logical way to do that to me. I was instructed that THIS is the correct process:

1) Add a line to your account and activate your new (received elsewhere) phone on that line ($35 activation charge.

2) Switch the devices between the "new" account and your old account having a device payment plan.  No charge to switch devices.

3) Now that you have your new phone on your regular line, you can cancel the "new" line created just for the switch. No charge to cancel.

4) You can now use your new phone on your regular line and will continue to pay off the old phone (no longer attached to any line) and receive your credits until the agreement term is completed.