Replacing defective phone a nightmare
ANGDOW80
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am beyond irritated at the lack of customer service offered by Verizon and the inability of anyone to resolve my issue. Here is the long story below.

I upgraded from a Samsung S10 to a Samsung S21 Ultra (256 GB) and waited 2 weeks for the phone because it was backordered.  I decide to trade in my S10 for promo credit so I send that device in for credit. My new phone arrived 7/7 and yesterday I notice a tiny green line at top right corner that flickers. Call Verizon and of course no one wants you to speak to an agent they want you to chat. Chat with someone who clearly has no clue what is going on and types in broken English.  He/she want me to use my insurance - I am like isn't this thing under warranty.  I then am told to file a claim with insurance.  I explain again that I am not paying a deductible if it's under warranty.  Then I'm told to call Samsung.  I say I'm not satisfied with that answer I bought phone from you there is something wrong with it and I want a new one. Transfered to level 2 tech support and go around and around with that agent. Troubleshoot and they say we will send you new phone and you return bad one within 5 days of receipt I say great. Then I'm told its out of stock so go to a store except I know the stores are out of stock as well. After some back and forth I ask them to order it and send it when it comes in and I'll send defective one back. They say ok. I verify the phone is ordered and being shipped they say on 8/7 and this will cost me nothing as I have a 30 day window to exchange/return. They say correct. They keep asking if my problem is resolved trying to get rid of me before this final resolution like they are trying to get rid of me (probably some time frame they are supposed to resolve issues in) Finally I'm satisfied.  Quit chat and discover later no email about order or order showing in my account so I get suspicious and chat again because once again they do everything in their power to get you to chat and not speak to a human. Go through the  story AGAIN and they say sorry no order showing. We will transfer you to level 2 tech support yet again 

Go through story again- starting to get irritated when I discover I've been lied to and no order was done. This person says can't order it without returning my phone first as the date in will be in.stock exceeds my 30 day return window. They ask if I want warranty replacement but say this will be "certified like new" phone. This seems wrong as the new one I have has an issue and is within 30 day window.  I can't return mine because I don't have a old phone to activate because I traded it in but they don't seem to care I will be without a phone for 2 weeks.  Finally they say I can exchange for a different model in-store. I reluctantly agree and am resigned to accept the fact I might have a 128 GB phone instead of the 256 I originally ordered. No one tells me since I ordered online at Verizon I have to go to a "corporate " store. I go to my local store and that poor guy says I don't even have access to their system. He suggests I go to corporate but I don't want to drive there just to order a phone because again out of stock or backordered. I call Verizon back and finally make my way through to speak witn a live person who didn't even know the return window was increased to 30 days last month.  He is reading manuals trying to figure out this stuff. We get disconnected.  I am livid! I call back and wait again (lengthy hold times). Finally he calls back and says oh you can't ever do this return through the mail because they have to inspect it in store so not sure why you were told this by someone.  He says you have to go to corporate store.  I ask if I'll get the same answer about the item being in.stock beyond my 30 day window. He doesn't know I'll have to talk to store. So I think I'll call store first before almost driving an hour away but when I call I apparently get transferred to the 1800 number and am told this is due to covid stores aren't taking calls. You have to go in person.  What??? Seems backwards to me. So I go in and wait and find our they have no s21 models (if I could have called the local store I could have saved time).  Only one corporate store an hour away in other direction has one 128 GB phone. They are holding it until tomorrow.  The guy at store says yep have to return or exchange my defective phone before 30 day window because system won't allow them to take it back after 30 days. Once again I would be without a phone. These Samsungs are all backordered due to computer chip shortages. I try to explain these things aren't my fault so why am I being penalized for this- I agree to exchange it for the lower GB phone though just to be done with as it's affecting my sanity!

The more I think about it the more irritated I become. This is how a 20 something year customer is treated. In fact I said I might change carriers to one chat rep and they were like you can return phone and switch carriers like they don't care. The only problem with that is they have my S10 and I  am not letting them have my $800 trade in credit. However,  after this phone is paid off I will be done with them and switch to AT&T. 

The most abysmal customer service I have ever experienced.  All I wanted was them to order the same phone for am even exchange and I would send my defective one back when I got new one.

Let's hope my trade in credit actually shows up on my bill as I've just read on here nightmares about that. I did receive and email and am supposed to get original amount offered.  We will see. 

0 Likes
Re: Replacing defective phone a nightmare
Doggo
Contributor - Level 3

Way too much walls of text to go through. There's a global chip shortage. Of course things are going to be backordered.

ANGDOW80
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you can't read my story because it's too long don't comment. My complaint is not about it being backordered.  My complaint is their inability to resolve my problem.  I'm willing to wait for a new one but they won't exchange it when it comes in because it's after my 30 day return window.  They should be willing to exchange it as I notified them of defect within my 30 day window 

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Unfortunately the process to return and exchange for a brand new phone given to you initially was incorrect. They are not going to send you a new phone until you return the defective one.   That would leave you with Warranty as the only other option, and as you mentioned Warranty will not provide you with a new device.

Are you still within the return window?   if you are, return the phone. The promotion is still available through Best Buy, and they may have the phone in stock.  

0 Likes
ANGDOW80
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am in the return window but the problem is these phones (S21 models) are backordered or out of stock and won't be in stock until after my 30 day return window so they are saying I'm out of luck. I am willing to come in and exchange it when it comes in but they say oh well you can't you will be past your window of return and there is no way around it as the system won't let us do it (I find it hard to believe there is no way to override the system as I was in retail for years and was a supervisor and there are always ways to override). I understand the process but I'm trying to exchange this phone before the window is up. Me returning this one and them leaving me without a phone for 2 weeks is unacceptable when I was sold a defective phone.  

My promotion was trading in my other phone which has been done and if I return this one and buy it somewhere else I will lose my promotional credit of $800.00. I read the terms and it says you lose it if you return the phone bought under the promotion.  We all know they can't return my old phone to me, thus, I would have no promotion anymore. 

Another issue I have is being lied to by the first agent. I have expressed how this needs to be addressed but no one seems to care. The fact that I received 3 different answers shows there is a training issue that needs to be addressed by Verizon.  

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

I understand the 30 day window.  
Voiding the entire deal would be my first choice.  But not so much if you have already relinquished your trade-in phone.   Yeah that’s a huge problem.   AT&T’s trade-in deal gives you 30 days to send into your trade-in phone.

If you do the warranty with Samsung you will get a brand new phone.  Contact them and see what option they provide.

0 Likes
ANGDOW80
Enthusiast - Level 2

verizon said I would get a refurbished  phone or they would repair my phone through Samsung as well and would have to send in my phone and be left without a phone once again.Yes I had 30 days to return phone but sent it in right away so I made sure my trade was processed in time.

The original verizon rep said they.could send me a new one and I would have 5 days to return it and if I didn't I would be charged for the new one. Not sure why that's not an option as they have my credit card on file to charge me if I don't return it OR they could make an exception and let me exchange it outside the 30 day window since I tried with every fiber of my being to exchange it before my window.

I will be driving an hour away yet again tonight to trade it in for a model with less memory as it is the only S21 at any verizon store in my area.  Believe me I wish I would have bought it at Best Buy things would be easier. Now I have to hope they are telling me the truth that my exchange won't void my trade in since it states an exchange or return voids it. They claim because it's the same"model" it won't but it's really not the same as it has less memory.  This forum is filled with horrible trade in experiences. 

Imagine if you got a defective phone and were told these things. I bet you will feel the same way

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand how important this is for you, and I'm genuinely sorry we can't override the return policy. However, you will have the option for a warranty replacement; we definitely don't want to leave you a defective device. Can you please tell me more about the promotion you qualified for? I also want to learn more about the problems you're having with your phone. 

EvelynB_VZW

0 Likes
jsantos9594
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, why will have to wait a week for an S21 Ultra they don't have a phone replacement available. You should be able to offer a phone of equal or better value that is available the next day to deliver. Is a replacement is not like you are giving me a NEW PHONE  is a manufacture warranty replacement? But you are very persistent and in some cases to sell other products when you can not even provide an excellent service on the products I have now what make you think I will buy anything else. My case very simple.

1- S21 Ultra screen went black for no reason. Call troubleshooting was made nothing. 

2- Process authorize for replacement

MY ISSUE BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE COMPLAIN

3- No replacement available for S21 Ultra -- ASAP --- ONLY IF I WAITED A WEEK. I need my phone for work.

4- Why NOT find me a replacement of equal or higher value that you do have available.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

You do know they don't make them anymore?  How do you expect a Verizon or Asurion to send you something they don't have.

0 Likes