SIM Swapping Scam - How does Verizon Protect us against this?
LouDavis951
Enthusiast - Level 1

A new type of crime was reported last night on the news called SIM Swapping where an individual calls the mobile retailer such as Verizon and asked to do a SIM swap to another phone.  If successful, they can gain access to any information on that phone including banking information.  Some victims of this crime have had their bank accounts cleaned out.  The only indication that you have that this occurs is your phone has no service.  By the time you call to determine the problem, all your money and personal information can be gone.

What does Verizon do to protect its customers from having this happen, especially since the news story indicated that some of their employees took bribes and sold the information required to do this to the scammers.  I would say if you can't trust the Verizon employees that SIM swapping should only take place in person with two or more forms of picture ID and no longer do it on the phone.  

Re: SIM Swapping Scam - How does Verizon Protect us against this?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Your security is our highest priority LouDavis951. I know how scary it can be to view information on the news. I would love to help. I can assure you that Verizon Wireless does have a verification process for our customer's account. You can also get some tips on protecting yourself here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/fraud/ Does this information help you? AmberF_VZW

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

you have to prove who you are.

0 Likes
LouDavis951
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the reply.  I trust you try to do everything in your power to prevent this with your verification process.  However, the part of the news article that caught my attention was the part where the scammers bribed Verizon employees for the information to accomplish this.  (https://www.foxla.com/news/fox-11-tracks-down-verizon-employee-accused-of-taking-bribes-from-sim-swa...).  I would suggest Verizon take a page from the US Military and how they handle classified materials such as codes.  The Military uses two person integrity.  That is to say it takes two people with seaprate combinations to open the safe, pick up, and transport classified material with a paper trail all through the process.  Maybe a similar system could be put in place so one person could not access this or other vital information and hand it off to a scammer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate the information, LouDavis951, thank you. We will lift up the suggestion. JoeyM_VZW

0 Likes
Re: SIM Swapping experience
jamessavlen

My Verizon phone number has been swapped twice this month and support has no solution. In my case they said a 'woman with black hair' went into a Stamford, Connecticut store and knew my PIN code. When I asked the store location and what info they produced there was no details given. In both cases I was locked out of my bank accounts and money transfers were attempted. I think each occurrence required about 10 hours of waiting on hold and getting an endless run around. Currently disabling online banking.

0 Likes
Re: SIM Swapping experience
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello! We are sad to hear this has happened to you. Have you reached out to our Fraud Department regarding this issue? *Bryan

0 Likes
Re: SIM Swapping Sc*m/ FRAUD - How does Verizon Protect us against this?
clayson24

Verizon didn't do any of that when I got Sim Swapped on Oct 10, 2022. (From Oct 6 to 10th - there was a huge data leak via SIM Swapping that the FBI is investigating. The same effect: no cell service, no text. They let the swap happen with my account and only sent me a text on that day - from an employee that was not versed with a good grasp of the English language. So it appeared that the rep was from somewhere other than the US and lead me to believe the texting was a sc*m/ FRAUD. So I went directly to Verizon store to have phone looked at. Got new SIM card - but by that time my Coinbase account was wiped out. Lost a LOT OF MONEY.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes