Smartphone Upgrade loop hole
faatdaat

Does anyone have experience and knowledge of the following scenario.

I have a family plan which having two smartphones with unlimited data plan and two dumb phones with no data plan.  I plan to do an upgrade to one of the two dumb phone with a smartphone and then select a tier data plan for this line.  Activate the new smartphone for a shart period of time, then replace this new smartphone with the old dumb phone or a new dumb phone.  The new smartphone will be re-activated to replace one of the two existing smartphone. Doing all these steps is tring to get a new smartphone without paying the full price and keeping the unlimited data plan. So, I have a few questions, first, will Verizon allow me to activate a LTE 4G smartphone to replace a 3G Iphone without changing the data plan? Second, Will the new tier data plan on the third smartphone line be dropped after I replaced the new smartphone with a dumb phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
rcschnoor
Legend

You should not be able to keep you unlimited data. According to Verizon, unlimited data will be forfeited if a new contract is signed for a line with unlimited data. Even though you are transferring the upgrade to line B, the contract is being signed on line A, thereby forfeiting your unlimited data.

There are those, however, who have claimed to have kept unlimited data by doing this. I have no way of knowing if they are correct, just trying to misinform people or if it was eventually caught and then unlimited data lost for the original line after a period of time.

Verizon's policy, though, is that line A would lose unlimited data.

View solution in original post

143 Replies
Merlin3100
Enthusiast - Level 2

That is not what was asked. The new contract is on the dumb phone line, not the unlimited line. The unlimited line is just going to have the new smart phone associated with the unlimited number. The big question is, when you start any plan, is the a grace window like 10-14 days where you can still change your mind and turn of the new data plan and go back to an old plan. Like the dumb phone?

0 Likes
chewy26
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ok, Here is my scenario...

line 1.  unlimited plan with no upgrade

line 2. unlimited plan with update

line 3. dumb phone with no update

My solution

step 1.  add a NEW line with tiered data plan

step 2.  order smartphone (HTC One)

step 3.  activate on NEW line

step 4. then move HTC One to unlimited plan- Line 1

step 5. activate a dumb phone to NEW line

step 6. downgrade tiered data plan to dumb line.

Will this work to get a new phone to line 1 without losing unlimited?

Thanks

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

chewy26 wrote:

Ok, Here is my scenario...

line 1.  unlimited plan with no upgrade

line 2. unlimited plan with update

line 3. dumb phone with no update

My solution

step 1.  add a NEW line with tiered data plan

step 2.  order smartphone (HTC One)

step 3.  activate on NEW line

step 4. then move HTC One to unlimited plan- Line 1

step 5. activate a dumb phone to NEW line

step 6. downgrade tiered data plan to dumb line.

Will this work to get a new phone to line 1 without losing unlimited?

Thanks

Yes.  Once you put the basic phone on the new line, you can drop the data plan (I'm assuming that's what you mean by 'downgrade tiered data plan').  Keep in mind that if you cancel the new line before the contract is complete, the ETF will be based on the smartphone purchased rather than the basic phone that's on it.  Also, the warranty on the new phone may or may not transfer.

chewy26
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for your response

0 Likes
skylinefoo24

I have an unlimited line along with

- 1- feature phone

- 1- Tiered Smartphone

- 2- Unlimited Smartphones

My question:

Line A: Unlimited with upgrade

Line B: feature phone

Transfer upgrade to line B, upgrade B with smartphone. Activate phone

on B, then transfer phone to A.

Will I be able to keep unlimited?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

You should not be able to keep you unlimited data. According to Verizon, unlimited data will be forfeited if a new contract is signed for a line with unlimited data. Even though you are transferring the upgrade to line B, the contract is being signed on line A, thereby forfeiting your unlimited data.

There are those, however, who have claimed to have kept unlimited data by doing this. I have no way of knowing if they are correct, just trying to misinform people or if it was eventually caught and then unlimited data lost for the original line after a period of time.

Verizon's policy, though, is that line A would lose unlimited data.

JRunner01
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi All...

Sorry if this has already been mentioned in the previous pages and answered already, but there is a lot of different scenarios going on and I am not sure I have found a similar situation that clearly answers it.  I know I heard time after time that if you transfer an upgrade from line 1 to line 2, and line 1 has the unlimited data plan and line 2 has the tiered plan, that you will effectively loose the unlimited plan from line 1 since it was the originator of the transfer \ upgrade and it will be converted to a tiered plan.  However I have experienced what appears to be the "loophole" in the online tool for upgrading and wanted to see if I am not going to loose my unlimited data on line 1 based on the experts here or those that may have experienced this same scenario.

What I did is I used the online transfer upgrade tool to first transfer my upgrade from line 1 (unlimited) to line 2 (tiered).  I then selected Line 2 as my upgrade device.  Selected a new phone (galaxy s4) and kept my existing family share voice plan option.  I then left the default selections for my current line 2 plan options for Data (which set to 2gb tiered) and my other normal features.  All of these options were indicating "existing plan features" text. After clicking next I was given a pop up that said features added and features removed.  The added section contained what I expected as mentioned earlier and the removed had nothing listed.  NOW, according to the sales reps who tried doing this with me via the phone while they were logged in to My Verizon account, said when they got this pop up it said the same as my pop up except that theirs also said "unlimited data" as a removed item.  I explained my pop up did not but they still insisted it would be removed even though it didn't say it for me for some reason.

I then cancelled the process and the next day spoke to another sales rep via chat and explained all the above and he indicated that if it didn't say it was being dropped then I am good to go and should be fine to keep my unlimited data on line 1.  He said that if for some reason it all turns out bad that Customer Service should be able to back it all out for me as if I never did any of it.

So today I took that chance and did it... order submitted.  Took screen shots off all the screens as I explained above as hope that I have some recourse if I need to have them back it out or to justify my unlimited data remaining on line 1.

I have no plans of moving the new phone to line 1, it is meant for my line 2 as the phone there is old and tired and needs upgrade sooner that it's line allows.

Can anyone comment if I'm OK to keep line 1 unlimited data?

Thanks in advance !!!

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

You are going to lose unlimited as soon as you activate the new phone. By activating the new phone that will activate a new 2 year contract on line 1, causing you to lose unlimited data. If you decide to return the phone after activation you will also be charged a $35 restocking charge.

0 Likes
JRunner01
Enthusiast - Level 2

FYI... I noticed over the weekend my line 1 now says its contract has been extended to a new 2 yr end date, around 8/2015.  This jives with what all have been saying about you are actually renewing the contract from the line your transferring the upgrade from.  However, my data still shows unlimited.

I have not received the new phone yet to activate on Line 2 (as it is intended for).

Am I in the clear of keeping unlimited yet?

Thanks in advance...

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Once you activate the new phone, things may change...

Good luck.

0 Likes
JRunner01
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just don't get how they can take my unlimited data away from line 1 (as everyone says will happen), without notifying me in the checkout windows.  None of the screens ever said anything about loosing or removing an unlimited data plan.  All screens were referencing the line 2 that I was upgrading to and as I stated earlier, the "popup" window that you must accept to continue showed nothing being dropped and only my existing line 2 options being carried forward. 

The popup has a title at the top for Added Features and the existing plan features for line 2 being re added, and a title for Removed Features, and nothing was there.  And even so, if it did have the unlimited data listed there it would be odd since this line doesn't have unlimited data, so it would be misleading to even mention it here.  Unless in some way they added a note about line 1 as the actual drop next to the text.

If Verizon is not going to tell their customers in some way during this checkout process that under the hood line 1 is being modified to a tiered 2gb plan, then how is the customer supposed to know?  I feel this would be dishonest practice on Verizon's part and my recourse for either getting what I'd expect or if anything reverting it all back with no loss on my end (unlimited data put back and no charge for restocking fee etc.)

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello JRunner01. We want to make it super easy for our customer to manage their account online. Our goal is always to attain and retain your wireless happiness. When a change is made to a mobile number then the user is prompted of such and is required to accept the change before proceed. May I ask what calling plan do you have? I want to ensure that we investigate this concern from all angles for you. I'm looking forward to your reply.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
JRunner01
Enthusiast - Level 2

NATIONWIDE ACCOUNT LEVEL LOYALTY FAMILY SHARE 550

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for clarifying, JRunner01. Based on what you described, line 1 will retain the current pricing that it had prior to the upgrade. The only change with this line was related to the contract date and upgrade eligibility. Line 2 will be choosing from one of our current data offerings and will not be able to keep unlimited if they currently had the feature. I hope this was able to clear things up. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
JRunner01
Enthusiast - Level 2

If line 1 will remain unlimited data, since you say "the only change with this line was related to the contract date and upgrade eligibility.", then why has everyone here and from Verizon sales \ customer service said I would loose unlimited data on line 1 if I transfer my upgrade from line 1 with unlimited data to line 2 with tiered data (already has tiered data)?

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Hate to say it but Yale is totally incorrect in their reply. If you use your update to get another line a phone, the other line keeps their data plan, but you much choose a new data plan as your line has the new two year contract.

0 Likes
JRunner01
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well if that is the case, I was never asked what plan to choose for my existing line I was transferring FROM.  I was only asked what data plan to choose for my transfer TO line.

And as another poster mentioned, I never saw anything like this during the process... Your current unlimited data offering is no longer available. By Default 76375 - DATA PACKAGE 2GB/$30 offering is selected

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JRunner01, I'll be happy to review your account if line 1 lost unlimited data, but what Yale said was correct. The line accepting the upgrade is the one that has to choose from current pricing. Since Line 2 already had a tiered plan, this is why you are not seeing a prompt that unlimited data will be lost. Line 1 will be able to keep unlimited data when completing an alternate upgrade. If you're showing something different after your upgrade, please respond to my follow request and send me a private message with your mobile number.

MarquiaF_VZW

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Marquia, how can line 1 keep unlimited data when that is the line that  is upgrading? This is opposite of everything we've been told for the  past year.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi SydneyK,

Thanks for replying.  The line that is upgrading has to move to our new data pricing.  Since you are only putting the phone on the other line and not doing an alternate upgrade they will be able to keep your unlimited data.  We do let our customers know, if you bring your own phone or purchase at full retail; you can keep your data plan.  I hope this info helps out.

Thanks, BobbyS_VZW

0 Likes