Travel to USVI
jimwhalen10

I'm travelling to the USVIs and would like to know what charges/fees apply for voice, text and data.

Thanks,

Jim

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Travel to USVI
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@dif ,

Let's make sure that confusion is cleared up for your travels. I'd recommend using our online Trip Planner so you can see what options are available to you, as not all places may have the same options, including your cruise ship: https://www.verizon.com/plans/international/international-travel/trip-planner-tool/

When you leave the U.S, your phone is also leaving the Verizon network, so in order to use your phone with a mobile connection, you're going to need to turn on roaming or whatever other settings on your phone to allow it to work. The Trip Planner should help explain that, otherwise you can send us a Private Note for more details. When you are on the U.S. side of the Virgin Islands, you are not connected to the Verizon network, but your usage would be treated as if you were still in the U.S. When you go to a non-U.S. area, such as St. Martin, that's going to be considered the same as if you were in a non-U.S. area, and can be billed for long distance usage. If your phone is connecting to these cell towers, you'll get a free Verizon text that would further explain where you are at and what your international plan (if any) covers. This is why we recommend TravelPass most often because it cuts out a lot of the guesswork on where you are and how your service works. If you have any further questions, please send us a Private Note.

-Russell

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Bruce27u01
Contributor - Level 1

Hello Jim,

I have traveled back to the USVI numerous times (I was actually born in St. Thomas) and I did not incur any additional charges for voice, text and data.  At times calls were a little spotty in some locations on the either island but for the most part I had great reception. Also on your device it might show as "roaming" but in reality you are not actually "roaming." Check with VZW before you leave the US just in case.

Enjoy your stay and hit the beaches as often as you can.

jimwhalen10

Thanks Bruce.  I got a text message from Verizon when I called St Thomas from m,y home in NJ to make some reservations that I was paying per minute rates.  I didn't think it was roaming, but I'll still check.  Jim

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ouuhh, sounds nice. The good news is, domestic roaming occurs when your mobile device connects to a non-Verizon Wireless network in the United States, Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands. You'll simply want to toggle on Roaming. https://www.verizon.com/support/domestic-roaming-faqs/ VCarter_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Bruce27u01, thank you for such great info and assistance. I'm sure Jim will appreciate that info. Traveling to the US Virgin Islands sounds fantastic and I hope Jim enjoys his trip. Verizon recommends that our customers visit our International Travel website for information about using their devices when traveling broad (e.g., U.S. Virgin Islands) at http://spr.ly/6604H9uHK. We also recommend viewing our short video (Preparing for International Travel) at http://spr.ly/6605H9uHz. Our customers will also see the really helpful Trip Planner Tool link thats included. Thank you again for being so helpful.

RobertC_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jimwhalen10, you're welcome. Calls to St. Thomas from your Verizon Wireless phone do not incur international long-distance charges. I hope this information helps. 

JacobG_VZW

0 Likes
Travmakar
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

What about phone calls/texts from St John USVI?

dif

I've read through all the posts and am still confused about status of verizon service in USVI.  We are going on cruise and was only going to connect on st thomas and st marteen as we have voom on the ship. Verizon site just keeps trying to sell travel pass. If I leave roaming off on my phones will there be service in st thomas and st marten included in my unlimited plan with no charges?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@dif ,

Let's make sure that confusion is cleared up for your travels. I'd recommend using our online Trip Planner so you can see what options are available to you, as not all places may have the same options, including your cruise ship: https://www.verizon.com/plans/international/international-travel/trip-planner-tool/

When you leave the U.S, your phone is also leaving the Verizon network, so in order to use your phone with a mobile connection, you're going to need to turn on roaming or whatever other settings on your phone to allow it to work. The Trip Planner should help explain that, otherwise you can send us a Private Note for more details. When you are on the U.S. side of the Virgin Islands, you are not connected to the Verizon network, but your usage would be treated as if you were still in the U.S. When you go to a non-U.S. area, such as St. Martin, that's going to be considered the same as if you were in a non-U.S. area, and can be billed for long distance usage. If your phone is connecting to these cell towers, you'll get a free Verizon text that would further explain where you are at and what your international plan (if any) covers. This is why we recommend TravelPass most often because it cuts out a lot of the guesswork on where you are and how your service works. If you have any further questions, please send us a Private Note.

-Russell

0 Likes
Rr828

Per my just finished conversation with Verizon this is not true. I incurred $60 of travel pass charges while in the USVI. I was told that I was unable to use data in St John (although it is listed as domestic on the Verizon travel website) because there is a risk that the data can ping off the BVI tower. I was told my account was now flagged so that if I ever went back I should be sure to not use data or I would incur international charges even without leaving the US. The only way to not be charged is to leave my phone on airplane mode. So beware and don’t make that mistake even though the website says it is domestic. 

0 Likes