Re: Verizon is blocking remote desktop apps?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Spitfang, thank you for sharing this information and we are sorry to hear about your experience. We appreciate you sharing the steps you have taken with what has worked and what hasn't worked. Are you having issues with any other application working on cellular data? Have you notified the developers of the Desktop app regarding the issue you are experiencing? The developer information can be located on the App information page from the Google Play store.  

-Sylvia

0 Likes
Spitfang
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello Sylvia,

I have not experienced the issue of the phone's network connection resetting with any other app. For other remote work apps, I have limited experiences over the years as it is my work's and my personal preference to use Chrome Remote Desktop. I was probably on WiFi when I briefly used others, or maybe they worked as intended and I didn't notice. I don't know.

Regarding contacting the developers of the Chrome Remote Desktop app. I had a few communications with their support staff maybe 4-5 years ago. It was mostly unhelpful because they suggested simple things like reinstalling the app, factory resetting my phone, reinstalling Windows, and changing generic firewall/antivirus rules on the remote computers. As I alluded to before, this has occurred for years, on a variety of smartphones of many different Android OS updates (anywhere between 5 and now 12), in addition to the variety of PC's with various Windows installs (7 through 10), including the various network connections such as my home, work office, cellular enabled laptops, and the WiFi networks of clients I visited.
I eventually dropped support communications with the developers because they were slow to respond and the agents kept switching and having me start over with turning things off and on and yet another Android/Windows reset. Once however, after starting a new support request and submitting app logs, I got a single reply back and my ticket promptly closed. The support agent stated that the error message was outside their control, suggested I contact my mobile carrier about dropping the connection for the app, to contact Google about the network resets being an Android issue, and ended along the lines of "my guess is it's a bug". Certainly not the most eloquent help, but it was the first hint that the issue was not with my devices or installs. However, I never made those followup communications to Verizon or Google.

Present day and whenever I forget my hotspot workaround, crashing my network connection, I try to check back around community or support forums if anyone has posted an actual reason or solution. This time, I was in a call when I tried to remote into the office and the call cut due to the reset. I've seen wild theories regarding IPv4 and IPv6 issues, ports between Verizon and home ISP's being open or closed, encryption stuff and issues with protocol stacks, Android bugs and carrier locks, router firewalls and firmware issues. Everyone seems to have a guess on the matter and I understand at best half of it.
I'd like if the reason for why a hotspot works is found, but I would much prefer if the overall issue is resolved so that Chrome Remote Desktop works without gimmicks when mobile. Even better if I don't have to play diplomat and go back-and-forth between Verizon, the app developers, and the rest of Google for Android and their Pixel devices. I've got high hopes and low expectations, so let's start the troubleshooting game.

P.S. I got locked out of replying for 2 days because "This line has reached the maximum number of attempts allowed" from timing out while I was typing this. Typing in the reply textbox should count as activity and not log me out from "inactivity". Some unsolicited site feedback.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Please bear with me a moment, while I review.  I will be with you shortly, I thank you in advance.

*Lisa

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for your patience, while I reviewed the thread.  I see you stated that this issue has been occurring with multiple Android devices, correct?  You mentioned that the workaround that you found allows you to connect your Chrome Remote Desktop, which is good to hear.  We are happy to troubleshoot if you'd like, we would need you to send a Private Message, so we can access the account.  

*Lisa

0 Likes
Spitfang
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well nothing has come about from this so far.

VZ support really need to give concrete information like ticket numbers or reference numbers after they say they'll update you in 7-14 business days. Then some agent calling my phone a week after that time frame, to say that they only see a ticket and have nothing to do with Verizon Community agents. Also that nothing was discovered from that 7-14 days, so they'll do me a favor and escalate my mystery ticket to engineering, promising to call back in 3-5 days since they're so much faster. Which resulted in now a month later and still never getting that call back. So now I'll be starting all over again with a PM to the Community agents here while I look dumb when the next support agent asks "Do you have a ticket number?" and I say "No, I never got one".

At this point, I don't know if anyone can find my ticket anymore because I can't remember if that call agent said they closed my ticket and made a new one for the engineers, or if it actually got escalated. I have no faith because of all the excuses that "Oh those agents can't do that", "We can't see what they did", "I don't have access to their site". Is Verizon.com not the domain here? I don't want another call excusing that my ticket confused them because it came from here. If this place is 2nd class, then should I be sitting in the little chat box on the main site factory resetting my phone to infinity as part of the troubleshooting process?

Actually, the main site has it's issues too. My login keeps getting timed out when logging in to this site, which when trying to log back in to authenticate my account for said agent to access my account, it gets locked out for several days from supposedly too many login attempts (1 login, 1 authentication). And that's locking me out of my entire Verizon account. Going to the main site for support had me resetting my password and registering my account over and over with 3 agents to no avail. Oh the surprise when they say to clear my cookies, after I warn them that will kill the chat connection since I can't login. Oh but they'll be there waiting for me when I get back. Sure thing, well on to the next agent then...

So now that I've got a few days to pay attention to this, here we go again. To recap, I still have the issue described in previous posts, and I would still like information about why it happens, if not a solution once and for all. It's a real shame that despite being a community forum, the practice seems to be that I get whisked away into Private Messages. Anyone else browsing for information just sees a complaint, an agent taking them to the shadow realm, and no followup from either for weeks. I should be evil and if I ever get the solution, I should just post back here going "Cool, it's fixed" with no further detail for anyone else in the future. Real community like.

Spitfang
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well a month later I've remembered to update this. The call was a bust. Engineers reportedly didn't find anything and closed the ticket. Tech support caller said they couldn't replicate it on their own phone, suggested I look elsewhere for solving this. I asked if there was any way I can know what the engineers tested or looked at, logs, notes, or even a checklist so that I can start on better footing with maybe the Google devs again about how it supposedly isn't Verizon messing this up, and the answer was no.

Beyond the obvious point that my issue was not resolved, I'm just disappointed by the lack of transparency and cooperation. Nothing of use came of all this since I don't know what was looked at. For all I know, these engineers took up a phone, looked that it was connected to data, just launched the app, and called it a day that the issue could not be replicated. At least the first support agent seemed to describe my normal use on their personal device but couldn't replicate it. Fair enough, but again, I have tried multiple devices of my own and others Verizon accounts. Some work, others don't. Why? I don't know! It doesn't help anything if I'm told "well it works for me" because well it doesn't work for me! So that's it. Nothing productive was accomplished. I have no way to be certain that Verizon still isn't the issue because no meaningful information was shared beyond the likes of "we don't see what you're talking about, move on".

Anyone else 5 years in the future that finds this thread like I did, go ahead and try with a ticket and get to the fabled engineers. Maybe you'll have better luck than me. The Google app devs already pointed their finger at Verizon, Verizon says to ask someone else. I guess I'll call the weather station to see if maybe the air around the cell towers are interfering with the internet tubes. Complicated stuff I'm sure!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Spitfang, we know it's important that you get assistance with your remote desktop apps. We are going to Send you a Private Message so we can look further at this with you.

*Brianna

0 Likes
AlSam1980

Disable or edit Verizon digital Secure...

0 Likes
AlSam1980

#Chrome Remote Desktop #CRP

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi, AlSam1980! We certainly want you to be able to use Digital Secure. This link has more details on the feature: http://spr.ly/6601M1BPP

-Nikki

0 Likes