What is up with data charges for Jetpacks?
Pamelina
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have experienced an unrealistic use of data through my Jetpack for my last billing period of 11/11/15 through 12/10/15.  Early on I called Verizon about the huge amount of data being charged to me.  I ran an analysis of the prior two billing periods (Verizon cuts you off at 90 days to review data used) and found my Jetpack used less than 10 gigs of data.   I paid for 20 gigs of data in both billing periods so Verizon made out like a bandit.  But this billing period was a lolapoluzza.  In the beginning of the billing period I changed our plan downwards to 18G.  Through this billing period we were charged for 29 gigs of data!!  We are seniors and don't play any games or stream music.  Occasionally we will watch a movie but did not watch ANY movies in the billing period in question.  I made a call to Verizon again prior to the end of this billing period about this data ripoff and the rep was very rude and told me our historical use of data did not matter, only the fact that this month's data use it what it is basically.  I was also told to shut off my jetpack when I was not using it.  Okay, fine, the problem is that up until this billing period, I kept it on 24/7.  I also tether the jetpack to my computer because if I connect to it wirelessly, the jetpack constantly disconnects me otherwise.  Any software updates that were being uploaded during this last billing period DID NOT use 29 gigs of data.  I think Verizon decided they would start charging customers for all the time a jetpack is on whether it is really being used or not.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: What is up with data charges for Jetpacks?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Pamelina, we want things to make sense for you. We apologize that you were not treated right. You deserve our best always. We do not want your data usage to be a surprise. Because this is a public forum, we are not able to get your information to look at your data usage and see the best options. Could you reach out to us http://vz.to/1FnHERc We want to get this fixed as quickly as possible.
JoelRR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

By chance do you have any Windows machines that run Windows 7 or newer? It's possible you're having an issue not with Verizon, but with Microsoft Windows Update trying to download and install Windows 10 repeatably in the background. Just something to consider.

0 Likes
BeautifulStaffies

It seems to me that this is a regular issue with Verizon.  I've been using their MiFi and Jetpack for years because I live in two places, both very rural and they are my only carrier.  My usage spikes every single month with a gig here and a gig and a half there which we are not using.  This is my approach to try to catch the errors: I download the data usage on the lat day of my billing cycle; I take screenshots of my activity on the computer with the internet; I have turned off WiFi for the phones so it only uses cellular data.   In this way I am trying to track my usage and get some kind of resolution with Verizon.  I'm tired of calling them every month.  They are happy to reverse charges any time but I'm not happy spending so much time every month on the phone whining about what I am sure are bogus charges.  Anyone have another idea of how to track their usage?  Thx.  

0 Likes