Why does my phone keep kicking me off my home wifi?
Ness75
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm thinking verizon pulled a wells fargo. Disconnecting users from their home wifi or any wifi  results in overages of data "use" Has anyone found a workaround?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why does my phone keep kicking me off my home wifi?
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is the phone the only device that is having problems staying connected to this specific WiFi? Does it have trouble staying connected to just one WiFi location (home for example) or multiple locations (store, coffee shop, library)?

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Yup. It is a conspiracy. Verizon made it so that your phone won't connect to WiFi so that you MUST use your mobile data resulting in overages. Likely.

Seriously though, what phone do you have? What software version is it running? What type of network do you have at home? Did you try to unplug your router, forget the network on your phone, plug the router back in and reconnect them? What troubleshooting steps did you take before you jumped to the conclusion that VZW sabotaged your device?

mflandshark
Contributor - Level 3

"I'm thinking that Verizon pulled at wells fargo."

That's just silly.

There is no way that Wells fargo even know what kind of cellphone you have unless you call and specifically tell them and even then they cant physically block a device from connecting on there in its something that you have to do from you own wifi admin settings.

Call them and find out why your not connecting to wifi or why your dropping it. it might be something as simple as your too far away from your router or something is in the way blocking the signal to your phone. Your phone might be broken too so I would check into that Verizon tech support has always helped me out when I needed them.

If your having problems with data overages I would check out the new unlimited plan or look into safety mode.

0 Likes
Ness75
Enthusiast - Level 2

In general it's having issues staying connected to any wifi. Specifically the home wifi is causing me the most trouble because I depend on it. I turned off wifi assist and tried all the routine things that usually help turning on and off the device double checking settings etc.

0 Likes
Ness75
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you Smiley Happy for the advice I will try calling them to see if it's something that they can resolve over the phone I just thought I'd try asking here since work often doesn't allow me the time to make calls for more than a few minutes.

I've reset and gone as far as sitting next to the router. In the first week of switching to Verizon my data that would regularly take me a month to hit was reached in that week. I downloaded an app to track my data use and it was reflecting my highest use for the day when I wasn't even on my phone.

0 Likes
Ness75
Enthusiast - Level 2

Omg! thank god! Superman is here! 

I have an Iphone 7 plus and I did try the troubleshooting you recommended, resetting the router, forgetting the network and reconnecting to it after a few minutes, sitting next to the router to check if I was too far from it and maybe that was causing the issue.

I asked a few other verizon customers I know and they reported having the same problems. Different phones but same issue of being kicked off their wifi and having to repeatedly reconnect. 

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

The next thing I could suggest is to make sure that your router is set to use IPV4 and not IPV6.

I don't know what that means but when I had the issue with my phone disconnecting, I changed this setting and it works great now.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ness75, we want to make sure you are able to use your device with your in-home Wi-Fi. Are you still having issues with your device connecting to Wi-Fi? Have you tried resetting your network settings(Settings>General>Reset)? Let us know if you are still in need of assistance, we are happy to help.

JavierMD_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Ness75
Enthusiast - Level 2

Still having the same issues after trying all of the suggestions but I will exit this and go down to the store to see if the guy who sold me the phone would be able to assist me. Thank you for following up. Smiley Happy

0 Likes