Why is there an upgrade fee?
SOCKET22two

The $30 dollar upgrade fee is really unwarranted for loyal customers.  We should be given incentives to upgrade, not punished for it.  This is my last verizon phone for sure.  Seriously, fining people everytime they want to buy a new phone from you!?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why is there an upgrade fee?
bearone21
Legend

the fee's been there for a long time, bye bye.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Purchase unlocked versions of a device from the manufacturer and you would not have to pay an upgrade fee. Unlocked versions of iPhones and Pixel phones are not hindered with an upgrade fee. Only Verizon branded versions of those devices will be charged an upgrade fee.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

"On April 22 [2012], Verizon Wireless is implementing a $30 upgrade fee for existing customers purchasing new mobile equipment at a discounted price with a two-year contract. This fee will help us continue to provide customers with the level of service and support they have come to expect which includes Wireless Workshops, online educational tools, and consultations with experts who provide advice and guidance on devices that are more sophisticated than ever.

While the upgrade fee is not unique to Verizon Wireless, most devices can be traded in with our green friendly trade-in program at www.verizonwireless.com/tradein as a way to save money or potentially offset the fee completely."

Upgrade Fee | About Verizon

It has since been applied to all device purchases from Verizon Wireless.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

SOCKET22two, we apprecaiet your loyalty, and we would never want to see you go. Our Upgrade Fees serve a great purpose, which is why we have them. The fee covers the costs associated with connecting the new device upgrade, including offering online device tutorials and support information. We do occassionally offer opportunities for waived fees. You can always check to see if the option is available to you by reaching out to our Customer Service team. We also offer a promotion that will waive the Upgrade Fee when you purchase online.

PriscillaG_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

SOCKET22two wrote:

The $30 dollar upgrade fee is really unwarranted for loyal customers. We should be given incentives to upgrade, not punished for it. This is my last verizon phone for sure. Seriously, fining people everytime they want to buy a new phone from you!?

So I guess you're giving up on cell phones because all carriers do it. If you save 4 cents a day you'd have the upgrade fee paid for every 2 years. By the way Verizon ahs been doing this for 7 years now and you're just now noticing?

0 Likes
nonya-1
Enthusiast - Level 2

That doesn't actually answer the question posed, its an excuse for charging individuals for nothing. Verizon does not actually have to do anything with a new device that is compatible . No setup is required on unlocked Verizon capable phones. Install sim power up phone follows phones setup to transfer contacts and other information.

SO Verizon what are you actually doing to justify the fee nothing !!!!!

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes