Will Verizon Replace My Phone?
johnclark12
Enthusiast - Level 2

So this is what is going on...

Upgraded to an S4 back in December of 2013 from Best Buy..

Today, it died on me, literally. The battery died, and before it died, it wouldn't charge. It started randomly vibrating every 5 seconds but at this point it wont do anything at all.

I chatted with a Verizon Rep and she said if I took it to a local Verizon store, they would replace it for a $35 restocking fee.

However, I did not have insurance for the phone, but apparently since it is a device malfunction they will still replace it anyway.

I just want to be sure that they are going to replace it, because I do not want to drive an hour there and an hour back for nothing. Anybody can confirm what I am saying or have any experiences?

Labels (1)
Re: Will Verizon Replace My Phone?
Not applicable

Very doubtful they will replace a phone purchased in December 2013 and a restocking fee of $35

That is only for a device purchased within a 14 day time frame.

They are lying. You will have to purchase at full price. Or buy a second hand device and activate it on that line.

Good Luck

0 Likes
johnclark12
Enthusiast - Level 2

but what about this?

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/information/device_replacement_program.html

Manufacturing Defect

A manufacturing defect is something that’s wrong with the device itself (e.g., internal, electrical or functional problems). It doesn’t include physical damage caused by outside forces.

Your options for replacing a device with a manufacturing defect are based on how long it’s been since you purchased the device.  Visit My Verizon to verify how long you have had your device or to view when you are eligible to upgrade.

• Less than 1 year since purchase

The device will be replaced at no cost. If it’s been more than 15 days since purchase, it’ll be replaced with a Certified Like-New Replacement (a like unit or one of comparable quality).
Not applicable

For a manufacturing defect yes they will replace it under warranty.

What threw me off was the $35 restocking fee. There is no restocking fee on a warranty return.

You get sent another like phone via FedEx and you get a label to return the old one.

Hopefully they will say they received it back if not if you search the forum will ding you for $300-$400 for a nn return.

Since Verizon uses the US Postal Service for the return. Take a copy of the label with the tracking number.

Personally bring to post office, have them scan the label into their system. Don't let the clerk tell you they don't do that, insist on the return scan. This way if Verizon says they never received it back you can show the judge that it was in deed returned and that after that scan return it is a Verizon wireless and USPS problem and not yours.

Be proactive and not reactive.

Please note if Verizon gets it back they may say it is physical or water damage and ding you anyway.

If you can take photos of your device from every angle, and especially the charging port. And photograph the emeid/ESN number from the device you are returning just in case you have to go to small claims court.

Good Luck

sjbrowser

14 days!?!??!!?!  What about my story?  :

I was eligible for a device upgrade and took advantage by getting a NEW Droid Mini.  I had the phone for a week and i noticed that the battery would not hold a charge.  I opened a case with Verizon after one week and discussed the issue with them.  They had me do some tweaks and i told them i would try it out.  2 weeks later, i am still having the same problem..........which means the phone is DEFECTIVE.  I contacted them again immediately and they said they would send a replacement.  They sent a replacement phone and it is a REMANUFACTURED phone.  What kind of warranty is that?  3 weeks with a brand new phone i paid $500 for, and they send me a reman??!?!?!?  If you buy a printer, or a monitor or even a pc and after 1 week you determine it is DEFECTIVE, the company won't just fix it, they will send you a NEW one.  Right?  They told me that's how they roll......reman.  This is not the first episode with Verizon either.  Verizon has the absolute WORST customer service and customer relations in the business today.  Unfortunately I don't have any other carriers in my area, but as soon as i do, i will quit Verizon.  MB2508........don't worry, you're not alone.  Verizon doesn't care about any of their customers.  It's all about $ to them.  If they've got you backed into a corner, they aren't going to budge. They'll just keep squeezing.  Period.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

sjbrowser wrote:

I contacted them again immediately and they said they would send a replacement.  They sent a replacement phone and it is a REMANUFACTURED phone.  What kind of warranty is that?  3 weeks with a brand new phone i paid $500 for, and they send me a reman??!?!?!?

(Removed) This is NOT a Verizon problem. The MANUFACTURER sets the warranty, NOT Verizon. Verizon simply facilitates the terms the manufacturer has set for the warranty. Verizon simply makes it easier for you to take advantage of the warranty. They COULD simply keep out of it and have you return the phone to the manufacturer, wait a couple of weeks and THEN you would have a "reman" in your hands from the MANUFACTURER.(Removed)

Edited as required by the

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

sjbrowser

(removed)  You can't be serious.  Your response is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard.  Try taking your new car back to Detroit when there is a warranty claim.  Just like Joe Blow's Chevrolet dealership acts as an agent for Chevrolet, so Verizon acts as the agent for Motorola.  (removed)

0 Likes
Not applicable

(removed)

You buy a car made in Detroit or another city they are shipped to their dealers country wide.

You bring your car into the place you purchased it and receive warranty service.

You buy a phone at any retailer and by your way of thinking Best Buy and Walmart are responsible for warranty service. They are not. Verizon as a retailer sells and as a courtesy to its customers will handle the warranty return for you. However if you read the manufacturers warranty it states you the customer have to contact them (LG, Motorola, Samsung) to iniate a warranty claim.

So you should be thankful Verizon handles it for you. It saves you from not having a device while its being repaired. Which can run 7-10 days or more.

RC and myself do not work for Verizon so we give you factual advice. What you do with it is your decision.

You have no issue with the carrier.

Good Luck

rcschnoor
Legend

(removed) Car manufacturers and their subsidiaries, i.e. dealerships, handle warranty claims as described by the terms of the warranty. Nothing more. These warranties are worded differently than cell phone(and most electronics for that matter) warranties are written. Still, the manufacturers will ONLY provide what is designated in those warranties.

Verizon is NOT a subsidiary of Motorola, they do not pay a fee to Motorola in order to sell their phones as do new car dealerships. Regardless, they handle warranty claims as described by the manufacturer as a service to their customers. They are not required to do so as are new car dealerships are required by the manufacturers they represent. New car dealerships do so because the car repair portion of their dealership is one of the most lucrative portions of their business. Verizon DOES NOT fix phones, and therefore DOES NOT have the same incentive as a new car dealership to facilitate warranty replacements. (removed)

(removed) You want Verizon to provide MORE than what the manufacturers warranty designates, even though the new car dealerships you use in your analogy do NOTHING more than what their warranties require.

0 Likes
sjbrowser

Verizon is a phone "Retailer"?  That's ridiculous.  YOU go buy a phone at Best Buy and then try to make a phone call with it without a carrier.  (removed) You'll see the difference.  I'll use the 10s of thousands of dollars i have spent with Verizon over the years to do an upgrade for a fraction of the cost of Best Buy.  Oh, poor Verizon, not making any $ on these new phones because they sell them at a fraction of the cost, and since they do, what they offer to me is a "courtesy"?.......lol.  (removed)

0 Likes