military discount, denied; what else do they need?
BobCowen
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've submitted DD256A (both the certificate and discharge orders) but have been denied twice.  I've spoken with their military verification department and been told that DD256A is acceptable.  I can't find my DD214 but have requested a copy from St. Louis; how long will that take.

I've also sent messages via Facebook and been directed again to their verification department (800-890-8007).  I'm very frustrated because no one can tell me why it was denied nor what is needed. 

Any/all suggestions greatly appreciated.  USAR, SPC-5, 94B20, 1966-1972, HQ Company, 70th Div.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: military discount, denied; what else do they need?
BobCowen
Enthusiast - Level 2

SOLVED: I went to a local Verizon store with my discharge papers (DD256A) and the military discount was applied immediately.  The store was not an "authorized reseller" but a "company store."  I was discharged in 1972 and do not recall ever receiving a DD214.  I think that reservists were issued a DD256A instead of DD214 at that time.  Nevertheless, I've requested a copy of my records from St. Louis but that may take a while.  Thank you for the suggestion, I'll get a Veterans ID card.  I've heard that some states issue drivers licenses that carry a "veterans" type of indicator on them.  I'll check to see if Michigan does or not.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
cajunfla1

Do you have a Veterans ID card?  Maybe that will help.  If you don't, you should get one after you get your DD214.  I use mine to obtain Veterans discounts in many places without carrying that precious 214.

0 Likes
BobCowen
Enthusiast - Level 2

SOLVED: I went to a local Verizon store with my discharge papers (DD256A) and the military discount was applied immediately.  The store was not an "authorized reseller" but a "company store."  I was discharged in 1972 and do not recall ever receiving a DD214.  I think that reservists were issued a DD256A instead of DD214 at that time.  Nevertheless, I've requested a copy of my records from St. Louis but that may take a while.  Thank you for the suggestion, I'll get a Veterans ID card.  I've heard that some states issue drivers licenses that carry a "veterans" type of indicator on them.  I'll check to see if Michigan does or not.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BobCowen, we appreciate your service and appreciate your efforts with enrolling in our military discount. Our apologies that you have not received a resolution after several attempts and I want to ensure that we turn this around. For further assistance with the military discount on your account, please contact us at the 800 number you shared in your previous message. I'm confident that they will be able to work with you to take a closer review. -Lorenzo

0 Likes
BobCowen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Lorenzo:  Thank you for getting back to me.  The problem was very quickly & satisfactorily solved by one of your "company store" managers (Amanda, in Novi, Michigan).  

0 Likes