5+Spam calls per day? Is this normal?
b416
Enthusiast - Level 2

For the last 6 months I have been getting 5-8 spam calls per day. I block the repeat callers but the numbers and states change a lot. Just wondering if this happens to anyone else. I find it strange this has just been happening for past 6 months.

Labels (1)
Re: 5+Spam calls per day? Is this normal?
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Spam calls is a problem. Both mobile phones and landlines are susceptible. While I haven't been receiving five to eight per day on either my mobile phone or landline, I average one or two on any given day.

The volume of calls tends to ebb and flow. Lately, most of the ones I have been getting pertain to signing up for healthcare. Telephone numbers passed along with caller ID are often spoofed fake, or working but unrelated.

Not much can be done. Telemarketers switch the telephone numbers that they pass along frequently, so, blocking individual numbers isn't very effective. I just ignore the calls and let voicemail do its thing. I have an Avaya Partner ACS at home, so, the auto attendant effectively kills robots calls in that auto dialers  can't outpulse the extra digits to get past the auto attendant.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

b416, unwanted calls canget annoying. We do have a way of helping you reject potential spam calls. Please take a look here for more details: http://spr.ly/6582Euq8y;

EricaG_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

MARTY6220

Consider yourself Lucky with only 5-8 calls. I found out 2 days ago from a Verizon agent that UNLESS you specifically opt of Verizon "Advertise Sharing" of your phone number they will sell your number( OH SORRY "SHARE YOUR NUMBER"). The problem is they will probably sell "SHARE" it to a reputable company, but then they get sold over and over again. Now you get a ton of garbage phone calls, about Neck Braces, Car Warranty, Student Loans, Credit Cards, Home Loans, Insurance, and a million other garbage things. Yes thank you Verizon for SELLING My number and telling me on page 8 million of your contract. A real shady way to do business. Honestly I feel they do this so they can push these SPAM blockers and Family trace things so they can charge you $2.99 to $9.99 a month. Honestly I feel they create the SPAM so they can fight it and cost you more MONEY!!!! Think about if they just have 500,000 customer uses the $2.99 spam blocker app (which DOESN'T work for garbage by the way, only call it has block is my electric company which I needed the call, lets 8-15 other spam calls through a day) So yes 500,000 x 2.99 = Almost $1,500,000.00 a month = $18,000,000 a year. SO YA Creating SPAM calls is big business for them and they have a motive. Why do I think this because if you have ever answered any of the calls, the people usually just hang up after a few seconds never try to get your CC number or anything, more just nuisance calls, Honestly I wouldn't put it past verizon having a company in india making the calls. 18 million reasons WHY each year and I am sure the 500,000 subscribers figure is LOW. Then they sound like they are the good guys going to help you fight this leading the way... ya right... I have many friends/relatives who have AT&T and they do not have this issue. Hopefully someone finds a way to create a class action lawsuit about their shady ways of selling your info.

Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

it's from sites you visit.

0 Likes
MARTY6220

disagee, never give out my number and it didnt happen until I switched to verizon because they sell your information

0 Likes
THarbold
Enthusiast - Level 3

Great deal for Verizon … they make money on the front side as they Sell/Share your number with their partners, then they make money on the back end selling you their 'robocall blocking service' …… I've never dealt with another company that was so busy trying to nickel and dime you for every little 'service'

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

i hate to break this to you but i go back to gte days with verizon & i'm not getting 5+ spam calls.....so much for selling my info.

did you keep your old number?

0 Likes
Jeannies716

I get as many as 13 or more per day and I am so sick of it.  DNC doesn't work and quite frankly, I already pay a fortune for my Verizon plan and don't want to pay anymore for added services.  I would love to know if anyone has a solution 

0 Likes