Any way to access/repair Motorola freezing at splash screen?
Skippy2k
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is probably a lost cause but looking for suggestions or thoughts on it anyway.  My Motorola Razr Maxx HD has apparently developed a software glitch or something and will not load into the phone past the splash screen, the red eye.  I can hard reboot it, I can go to the bootup menu and choose things but whenever it boots loading into the software it can't get past the red eye which continues to animate but nothing...

I'm not as concerned with saving the phone for use beyond retrieving my pictures which dumbly on my part I haven't backed up in awhile since I wanted to clean them up first and just didn't get to it...  I am planing on upgrading either way but I have A LOT of pictures that I would like to get off of it if at all possible.

I've tried the "clear cache partition" option, I downloaded what should have been an update (whether it was the best to go with IDK but it was what I found that seemed to fit) and put it on the SD card to apply and try and get past it but no go.  When I plug it into the computer it seems to detect that I have plugged something in but doesn't show the phone to access the memory.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Any way to access/repair Motorola freezing at splash screen?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the phone isn't booting, it will require custom recovery to be able to access the file system on the internal storage without Android fully loading. I can't help with this unfortunately since this can be dangerous, and voids the phone warranty/support.

The other solution, which it seemed you tried already, was to get an update applied which in theory would help to re-install the OS without destroying the files. I guess you could try again, ensuring the SD Card you're using is formatted FAT32, and the update file is at the root of the card (Eg: not inside of a folder). Sometimes filename matters. The manufacturer or forums like XDA Developers might be able to help with determining what your device needs in order to apply an update from the SD card.

Skippy2k
Enthusiast - Level 2

The file was just on the card itself and it is the card that has been in it and accessible so I assume there shouldn't be any issue there though I had to put it in my old phone to connect and transfer the file to the card.  It seemed to recognize and install the update and reboot but still didn't make it past the splash screen.  Maybe it wasn't a serious enough update, will give it a shot on the other forum as you suggested as I would really like to get those pictures back...

First thing when I get a new phone double check that they are saving to the card!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Set up Google Photo backup, too. It can give you 15GB of storage for full resolution photos, or unlimited storage at a reduced resolution. Verizon also has the Verizon Cloud service, which has some included storage with the plan you may use if you don't like Google's services.