Constant wifi calling notification
MARINEALPHADOG
Enthusiast - Level 1

Since the oreo update I have a constant notification to turn on wifi calling. After googling for a solution I have decided I do not want to turn it on and accept the permissions in order to turn the notification off. Is there another way?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Constant wifi calling notification
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello VALJOH39,

I know this has been said before, but I'm so sorry you're experiencing this issue. I have completed some research on this subject, and Here is what we have found about the notification:

For devices that have Wi-Fi Calling turned ON by default, and for devices updated to software that has Wi-Fi Calling ON by default users will be prompted to activate Wi-Fi calling or confirm the E911 address. The notification cannot be removed by swiping and must be selected for the user to either walk through the Wi-Fi Calling activation, or to decline activation using the following processes:

If you have had Wi-Fi calling turned on before and an address is saved for E911 (check here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-201651/ , you will be prompted to select 'Cancel' or 'Save' on the Wi-Fi Calling E911 address screen. If you do  not select 'Cancel' or 'Save' on this screen the notification will continue to display. This is the reason you keep seeing it.

If you have never had Wi-Fi calling turned on before OR if the E911 address on file cannot be found, the users should be prompted to select 'Cancel' or 'Continue' on the Activate Wi-Fi Calling screen. If the user does not select 'Cancel' or 'Continue' on this screen the notification will continue to display to the user. Pressing 'Cancel' will prompt a display advising you that Wi-Fi Calling is OFF. Pressing 'Continue' after accepting the Terms and Conditions (check box) will move you to the Emergency Location Information (E911 address) screen. You would then need to complete the form with an address that can be identified in the E911 database, and press the 'Save' button.

I hope this information is helpful, 

Christina_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I certainly understand the benefit of being able to use the Wi-Fi calling feature, MARINEALPHADOG. I am afraid there is not an alternative way of enabling the Wi-Fi Calling feature. Is there a specific reason you are not looking to enable the feature on the phone?

Greg_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
  1. Go to Settings/Apps/Show system apps...
  2. Scroll down to Wi-Fi Calling, tap it.
  3. Tap Storage
  4. Tap Clear Data, then delete, then back previous screen
  5. Tap Force Stop

Please keep us updated on your results after taking these steps.

MatthewG_VZW

VALJOH39
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have had two Verizon reps try to rid me of this bothersome notification. It is still there, albeit smaller.  I have tried choosing it and cancelling and that does not work. I have tried going to apps/wifi calling but I don't have wifi calling in my apps. I looked into the pull down apps and it doesn't have an icon there. I have the possibility of needing it, but I don't want it and it has messed up calls within my home, making me retreat back to the kitchen to be able to make a call.  It is a dead app; it's not pining for the fjords; but it is nailed to my main screen and I want it gone.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We apologize to see this notification is bothering you, VALJOH39. It's important that your calls at home sound crystal clear. May we ask which device you have that just received the Oreo update? 

From there we can check on a solution to get this notification removed. We look forward to your reply. 

Tamara_VZW

0 Likes
Sherry4f
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem on my Galaxy S8.  I do not need or want wi-fi calling,  Yet I can't get the "Wi-Fi Calling   Tap here etc"  notification to quit poping up.  It is very very annoying.

MARINEALPHADOG
Enthusiast - Level 1

I get the feeling it's more so they get the permissions than we get the

feature.

VALJOH39
Enthusiast - Level 3

Galaxy note 8

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018, 05:25 vzw_customer_support <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I certainly understand how bothersome unwanted notifications are, Sherry4f. I would be glad to further assist with regard to the WiFi calling notification that you are seeing. When researching this issue, I have found that this is a new message that has been popping up with the Google Oreo update across all providers. This issue has already been escalated to our forum moderators for more information as well. We have found that these notifications are working as designed with the new software update. It was created to advise users that it is an available option and it cannot be disabled. 

There is a way to remove the notification from your screen. When you see the notification, please click on it as if you are going to be enabling WiFi calling. At the point where you are prompted to enter your E911 address, check to accept Terms and Conditions and then select "cancel" to exit. This will clear the notification for you. Does this help?

Lauren_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate the phone model and all your efforts to correct this notification issue, VALJOH39. I can easily see how this would become quite tiresome at this point and that you want the notification gone. Let's move forward so we can get this corrected together. Are you now currently using Wi-Fi Calling on your Note 8? Have you attempted to enable Wi-Fi Calling On/Off in your settings?

Please reference the link below for how to activate Wi-Fi Calling on your device. You may always turn the feature off should you choose not to use it, although this is a free feature that will enhance and provide you with better phone calls when connected to your home Wi-Fi. Please keep us posted on any changes. http://spr.ly/6580DUbXp

AlanS_VZW

0 Likes