Differences in PDF Viewers
LeoHamm
Enthusiast - Level 3

I recently tried to upgrade from LG Optimus Zone 3 (Android 5.1.1) to LG Zone 4 (Android 7.x). One of the ways I use the Zone 3 for is to view a particular pdf file in storage. it is a file with a lot of people and phone numbers for an HOA. It is not conducive to use in a contact list. When I find a person and phone number, I press the phone number until it is highlighted. Then I release my finger and the phone dialer is automatically launched ready for me to dial. The Zone 4 does not have this functionality. How can I get this functionality in the Zone 4 or later versions of Android?

Thanks

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
Re: Differences in PDF Viewers
bearone21
Legend

same viewer in both phones?

LeoHamm
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have no idea which viewer is used in either phone. I tried to get that info from Verizon, LG and Google without success. If it were a PC, I'd have no problem determining the app being used, but not on the cell phone. Both are using the default viewer but I have no idea what they are.

If you can help ID them, I'd appreciate it.

bearone21
Legend

it's probably either the default player or the adobe version.

LeoHamm
Enthusiast - Level 3

But how do I determine which?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Settings > Apps and look for Adobe or a PDF viewer.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

LeoHamm
Enthusiast - Level 3

Done that. Nothing shows either.

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

On my Android 7.0 Turbo 2 phone, I don't have Adobe nor a PDF Viewer specific app.  When I open a Google Docs .pdf file it apparently uses Google Drive to view the file (according to Help and Feedback).

If I use a downloaded File Manager app to view a locally stored .pdf file it opens the file for viewing, not identifying what it uses to view it, but has an option to save it to a Google Drive.  Also it has three dots that gives the option to Open With and shows two local apps, HP ePrint and Dropbox PDF Viewer.

Not sure if this helps but is what I see on my Android phone.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
LeoHamm
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the info, however nothing appears to be similar to my set up. I have 3 files in storage. I can't select one and decide how to open it. If I open it, click the 3 dots and select About, it shows a build number and some open source licenses, all Apache. So I guess it is using some imbedded SW in the Android OS.

Oh well. Time to give up. Thanks for the attempts to help.

bearone21
Legend

before they open do you get a choice of how file is opened, should get several unless you've selected one as default?

0 Likes