Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
***Announcement: Welcome to the new Verizon Community! We have merged our Wireless and Fios Communities to bring you the best place to discuss any Verizon product or service, along with all things tech! We have many new features to discuss with you in the coming weeks, but first we want to make sure that all of you who have been active on either of our communities before are able to log in!

Please see the Announcement in the Announcement section under Information Hub.

Re: Droid Maxx Lollipop?
Jakeman1
Master

So in reading this all Motorola is saying is that the device will be upgraded to Lollipop when it is ready with support from the carrier.  Lollipop has NOT even been soak tested on the Droid Maxx yet so Motorola is not even ready to release it.  The process is, Verizon gives Motorola some specifics (Bloatware they want added, options shut off and or defaulted to) Motorola builds the OS for the devices and tests them. Then they release it to a soak test and then give it to Verizon.  Once they give it to Verizon, Verizon can release it, test it sit on it etc....  As of now Motorola has not completed their steps and has NOT provided Verizon with the Release OS. All the reps know is it will at some point be released.  I am part of the Soak Test team on Motorola Devices, the Maxx in Particular and have NOT been notified of a Soak Test (not to say I will always be notified as they could have done it with a different group or a sub group of the Soak Testers, but in talking to others, none have heard of a Soak Test for the Maxx as of yet.

drusafa
Enthusiast

Sorry Jakeman1, that is not true. The manufacturer sends any updates to the carriers and it is adjusted and tested by them before any release. The carrier needs to add there blotware and behind the scenes data to the build. The carrier can reject it for multiple reasons. Once the carrier accepts the build, it will go out to phones. In Motorola's case, once the carrier has approved the build a soak test will start as one last quality control measure. While I don't know for sure that Verizon has received the update, I have read leaks by Motorola that point the finger at Verizon. Contractual agreements and policies prohibits Motorola from speaking out. Shame on big red and moto.

0 Likes
drusafa
Enthusiast
0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master

I will agree in part with this and this is based on work I have done with Motorola and their developers.  Verizon contracts the adding of bloatware out to Motorola (I cannot say the same for other devices) as Verizon want the Bloatware as part of the OS Image itself and not another layer on top of it.  Either way though to the point of my post, is the release itself from Motorola is not yet ready to be delivered to Verizon (with or without Bloatware)  Motorola was going to try to Soak Test the Maxx back in March or April but it was delayed with all of the issues reported on other phones.

0 Likes
drusafa
Enthusiast

Jakeman1, I am just curious where you are getting your information from. Can you post a source? I have not read anything like that. It is very well possible that Motorola has delivered several builds to Verizon and it is being delayed by Verizon. Nobody is talking!

0 Likes
nealf_2000
Enthusiast

Hey Verizon,

I tired of your broken promises.  You can not be trusted to keep your word.  I will never again purchase ANY phone exclusive to Verizon!  I will probably never purchase a phone directly from Verizon.  I will probably buy my next phone directly from Motorola or Google. I can also get a protection plan for half the price changed by Asurion.

I would dump Verizon tomorrow if not for rural coverage.

I think I could be better support from a Chinese Smartphone purchased from Alibaba-  but Verizon wouldn't activate such a phone.

If you think you are going to get me to buy a new phone by not honoring your commitment, you are sadly mistaken.

Liars!

0 Likes
TragicWarrior
Enthusiast

Dear Verizon,

It is absurd that you cannot (or will not) provide a straight answer.  Marshmallow has been out for almost a solid month now and we're still waiting on Lollipop.  I'll go out on a limb here and say that one of the reasons that we all bought this phone was for the promised upgrade path.  With the apathy you have shown so far, can you really be surprised when users root their phones and put a custom rom on it or threaten to go to another carrier?  It doesn't have to be that way.  You can still do the right thing.  All you have to do is tell us when it's coming and then make good on it.  That can't be too hard.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

TragicWarrior, the only answer that is available at this point in time is that there is no answer. Keep your eyes peeled towards this site, http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/software-updates/ , where we provide information as to when the latest update occurred.

DavidH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
csennett0503

That was the most pathetic reply I've ever seen by a company as big as you are. Verizon is so ridiculous. But you can't drop them because everyone else is worse. Verizon illegally charged me 300 dollars on my bill, who are the real crooks. If you're going to screw us, spit on it first. We might as well take it and ask for seconds because they could care less about the consumer. It's all about how much money they can make.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master

drusafa, My information comes from inside of Motorola, more specifically from one of the Developer Managers as well as one of the other teams and has been 99+% reliable so far

0 Likes