Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
***Announcement: Welcome to the new Verizon Community! We have merged our Wireless and Fios Communities to bring you the best place to discuss any Verizon product or service, along with all things tech! We have many new features to discuss with you in the coming weeks, but first we want to make sure that all of you who have been active on either of our communities before are able to log in!

Please see the Announcement in the Announcement section under Information Hub.

How do I restore Basic Voice Mail notifications on my Moto G home screen?
SylviaWinCalif
Enthusiast

Hi, thanks in advance.

Not seeing Basic Voice Mail icon or any sort of notification on my old Moto G phone (Android 5.1).

I know I have voicemails -- I even sent myself one. But the phone does not alert me to their presence.

Edit: This used to work; stopped a month (?) ago.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to restore Basic Voice Mail notification on Moto G home screen?
SylviaWinCalif
Enthusiast

OK, I've fixed this. I'll describe the process in hope of helping someone else...

Customer Service rep had me do this, which didn't work:

• Turn off wifi.
  • Turn on Airplane Mode for 90 seconds, then off.
  • Turn off phone. Turn on phone, holding power button until the Motorola logo appears.
  • Dial *86 (voicemail).

At this point, there should have been a tiny voicemail icon in the top left of the home screen, because I did in fact have a voicemail waiting. But no.

So I deleted that voicemail. Then I did this, which did work:

• While I was in voicemail, I selected Personal Options, then Voicemail Notification On or Off.
  • It was said to be On. I turned it Off. Then I turned it On. Then I hung up.

I called myself using another phone, left a voicemail, and -- voila, there's the voicemail icon.

View solution in original post

Ann154
Super User
Super User

Were you using the basic visual voicemail before? Or was it always the basic non-visual voicemail? Is possible you could have turned off the notification from the voicemail system?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
SylviaWinCalif
Enthusiast

Hi Ann, it's always been the basic non-visual flavor.

Yes, I could have turned it off, unintentionally. But I've checked here and there is no reference to Voice Mail:

Settings --> Device --> Sound & Notification --> App notifications

Is there another path I should investigate?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Ann154
Super User
Super User

Dial into the voicemail system itself and check the various options in there. I know there is a setting there, but I don't recall the exact area.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
SylviaWinCalif
Enthusiast

OK, I've fixed this. I'll describe the process in hope of helping someone else...

Customer Service rep had me do this, which didn't work:

• Turn off wifi.
  • Turn on Airplane Mode for 90 seconds, then off.
  • Turn off phone. Turn on phone, holding power button until the Motorola logo appears.
  • Dial *86 (voicemail).

At this point, there should have been a tiny voicemail icon in the top left of the home screen, because I did in fact have a voicemail waiting. But no.

So I deleted that voicemail. Then I did this, which did work:

• While I was in voicemail, I selected Personal Options, then Voicemail Notification On or Off.
  • It was said to be On. I turned it Off. Then I turned it On. Then I hung up.

I called myself using another phone, left a voicemail, and -- voila, there's the voicemail icon.

SylviaWinCalif
Enthusiast

Ann, thanks, that's exactly what worked, although I stumbled onto it before I read your reply. Still, you get a gold star.

0 Likes