Missing contacts over night
Bigsnapple7

I woke up this morning and half of my contacts are missing. I checked the cloud and there are no contacts saved in there.

I tried importing from Google but didn't do anything.

How does this happen and how to get them back?

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Missing contacts over night
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Oh no. We can't have you missing any contacts, Bigsnapple7. Let's find them! Which phone do you have? Do you recall doing anything different? (Updating software, updating applications, etc.?) Please try restarting your phone to see if they happen to come back. 

VanessaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

if you sync contacts within gmail, contacts are never lost.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Go into Verizon Cloud on your computer. Go to the Trashcan and move your missing contacts out of the trashcan to an active state. Sync the contacts.  No the very important part.  Change ALL of the contacts on your phone to Google Contacts, then let Google back up your contacts. You will never have this issue again.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

good choice unless verizon cloud hasn't been setup.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

True but based on the OP they went to the cloud to check. I am not aware of any other clouds (Verizon, Google) that will back up contacts on these phones so it was an assumption that it is VZW Cloud

0 Likes
Bigsnapple7

OK just to clarify.

I have all contacts (or had) saved in Google. I've gotten 3 new phones in the last 2 years. Each time I've gotten a new phone, I've set up the phone and signed into Gmail and it's loaded all my contacts automatically. 

I do not use verizon cloud.

My phone keeps saying contacts not available (error message)

So somehow something must have happened between my phone and Google account, and it deleted my contacts.

I tried Googles recovery method and that did nothing. Google unfortunately has no contact phone number that I could find so that was worthless even trying. I started a forum chat and some random person told me there is no chance that Google could delete me contacts therfore I never had any saved in the first place.

So if I never had any contacts saved, then how come when I get a new phone and sign into Gmail account,  it loads all my Contacts? 

Am I magic? Do I have some sorta Contact super powers?

Either way, between my phone has this contacts error message and my Gmail account, something happened and deleted all my contacts.

Neither verizon or Google had any info to help.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

does the gmail account still work?? 

i've got an old droid x, an s3, s5 & the current note5 & all of them have the same gmail contacts, yet 3 are only used on wi-fi.

have you checked to see that "sync" contacts is checked in gmail settings.

jakeman1:

i use a cloud too but it's the i-cloud.

0 Likes