Motorola Has Spoken!!! No ICS on None Official Motorola Devices..
Wildman
Legend

At one point Motorola reported that ICS would be coming soon to their devices but It appears that Motorola says If ICS won't make our device better, we won't update to it.... 

Here is posted possible release dates..

http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/postimages/79186/motorola_updates.jpg

But from what Motorola posted recently on their web site users shouldn't be expecting to get some ICS goodness because it appears Motorola has made the decision that it isn't going to be a project that they plan to work on for any of the Motorola devices that wasn't released with ICS.

I am sure this isn't what some wants to hear but looks like its not in the users hands..

http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/imagecache/w680h550/postimages/684/motorola-flag.jpg

Motorola Official Post....

http://www.motorola.com/blog/2012/05/18/wondering-about-software-updates-for-your-device/

Android Central

http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-if-ics-wont-make-our-device-better-we-wont-update-it

Labels (1)
Re: Motorola Has Spoken!!! No ICS on None Official Motorola Devices..
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

While it is sad news, it doesn't seem entirely unexpected.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

You may want to reword this a little.  Maybe I'm just not able to process clearly right now (it's been a really long day), but it looks like you are saying that no Motorola devices will get upgraded.  Just a heads up.

With regards to the article, I don't see how they can say that the X2 or D3 user experience won't be enhanced by ICS.  I think it's more along the lines of "some phones just weren't big sellers, and it really isn't worth it to us to upgrade some phones."  I know that wouldn't sit well with most users, but Motorola is just doing what is most financially beneficial for them.

0 Likes
fischerms80
Enthusiast - Level 2

Motorola Forums discussing the Droid 3 not getting ICS are pointing the finger at Verizon. Verizon wants everyone 4g and limited data plans where they can gouge you (Yes AT&T does also). Droid 3 can run ICS just fine. Under contract till 4/13 with a Droid 3. Thanks for the shaft and "wonderful" support.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Wildman on that Link you posted a few said it to a tee that Motorola is taking what is there flagship models an basically pushing them to the side as if they were rubbish. Just so they can re-lease  I.C.S  what on a new model if this is the case then why was the big push to put out the Razr/Razr Maxx. If this stands there are going to be allot of Upset people..my self included..

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Actually my opinion on this is all this information is still just rumors because the post in actually still very unclear of what device they will be placing ICS on and which ones are not even a contender for the update, if I had to guess the older 3G devices are out of the running because the limited system resources and hardware but I could be wrong...

Only time will tell...

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

let's see......they released the SAME device with a real battery a couple of months after they released the razr. would i put it past them to release the same devices (or very similar) a few months later and just add ICS? nope.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

This isn't right but technology changes constantly and this is why I do not by a device for what it might have later... 

Now as for the deal with the Razr and the Razr Maxx this was more a situation of jumping on the bandwagon before verifying that something better was on the way..   A number of users (Including myself) experienced this with the Droid X and then the Droid X2 hit shortly after.

I acknowledge it is a misleading approach to making sales but company do things like this in any industry, perfect example....  Time Warner roadrunner with their Turbo which is the basic data connection with a LITTLE speed increase, not worth the money but marketing make it seem like it.

Welcome to the technology word...

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

but wasn't the X2 released nearly a year later (X in july/august of 2010 and X2 in the summer of 2011)? i may be wrong about that. i know there's always going to be something around the corner, but it sure seemed like the MAXX was literally released 2-3 months after the RAZR and was the exact same device, with a bigger battery. obviously there will always be a latest and greatest around the corner and i typically will fault the consumer for not doing their research when it comes to situations like these.....but the situation with the RAZR and the MAXX just seemed wrong to me.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

You may be correct but the point was that the technology differences was so little that it was clear that the changes made to the device could have been integrated into the Droid X before release..   I couldn't believe the number of users that sold their Droid X to get the Droid X2 at full price... 

Now that good marketing when they can make a user sale the basically same device to upgrade to a device that really had no major differences.......  CAN SOMEONE SAY APPLE....