Phone Comparability Specifications
neverheardthat

I am researching rugged smart phones and would like to know the specifications a unit must have in order to successfully connect to Verizon's network. I have read all the FAQs and documentation I can find on your website and do not see the specific information I need to make a purchase decision on a several hundred dollar phone. There are many phones for sale that Verizon does not carry that I would like to know if I could use on your network. I understand the basics of CDMA, GSM, and SIM. As a simple example, can I purchase a Galaxy S6 active for AT&T, unlock the phone, and then use a Verizon SIM to connect it to the Verizon network? When you compare the S6 and S6 active on Samsung's website you can see the network/frequencies are not the same, but have some overlap in the compatible bands. Please provide me specific , technical information I can use to evaluate phones from less known manufacturers (Sonim, Caterpillar, Saygus, etc.) and definitively know if they will function properly on the Verizon network BEFORE I buy one. Thank You.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Phone Comparability Specifications
pherson
Champion - Level 1

This is not the place for that question, and customer support won't know either. Perhaps tech support will know. You need to call them. 8009220204

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

None of them will connect.  What the device needs first and foremost is band 13 for LTE (700 but keep in mind this is SPECIFIC to block C. Band 12 and 17 doesn't not constitute band 13 support. If it just says 700 more than likely it is AT&T block spectrum support). Then it needs CDMA as well as EVDO and meet the frequencies required. Right now from what I have seen online NONE of the rugged phones out there will not work.

0 Likes
neverheardthat

Thank you both for your responses.  I have tried calling technical support once before and did not get a definitive answer.   I will have to try again.  I really don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on the hope a device will connect.  It would also be nice to easily be able to switch carriers in the future if needed.  I am still hoping a network engineer from Verizon will provide the details.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is the only rugged smartphone currently for sale on the Verizon Wireless website. Even if it doesn't interest you, you can take not of the radio frequencies it supports in your search for a compatible device.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/smartphones/brigadier/

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

The best option is to get a decent Verizon compatible phone and put the Otterbox case on it if it has to be that rugged.

0 Likes
Quietpro67

This shouldn't be so hard. I know this topic is old but, five years later, the technical details are still being cloaked or only partially shared? The following is the closest I've found to a helpful resource: 

https://www.droid-life.com/2020/05/19/us-wireless-carrier-bands-gsm-cdma-wcdma-lte-verizon-att-sprin...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, being on top of your phone compatibility is vital, especially if you are trying to use it with our network. To determine if your device can be used with our service, use this link: https://www.verizon.com/bring-your-own-device/.

0 Likes