SD Card not working after 6.0.1 update
everyscreennametaken

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 and after the 6.0.1 update the SD Card becomes inaccessible after the screen locks while I was accessing it.  For example, if I'm playing music files off of it any music player apps freeze shortly after the screen blanks and will not respond until I do a force stop on them. It's not app specific.  Multiple player apps do the same thing.  At that point ES File Explorer just spins trying to access the card.  If I do nothing further, the tablet eventually crashes and will not start again until I remove the SD card.

Everything was working fine before the update.  I could start a music player doing shuffle play of mp3s on the card and it would continue to run fine after the screen locked.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: SD Card not working after 6.0.1 update
bearone21
Legend

601 didn't make the card inaccessible, it needs to be replaced.

you might remove & re-seat before buyiing a new card.

0 Likes
everyscreennametaken

This has got to be some kind of OS bug related to power management, suspend/resume, device drivers, or whatever.

If I'm playing an audio file from the SD Card and the screen times out, 20-25 seconds after the screen goes black the audio stops.  At that point the app that was playing is frozen or crashed and the SD Card can no longer be accessed.

If I restart the tablet (not power off, just restart), then the SD Card can be accessed again.

If I access the SD Card, BUT AM NOT ACCESSING IT WHEN THE SCREEN TIMES OUT, then I can access it after unlocking the tablet.

This is a pain in the posterior because I can no longer just put on headphones, set the media player to shuffle play or whatever and set the tablet down beside me.  I have to keep the screen active in order to keep it playing and the highest you can set screen timeout to is 10 minutes.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

There could be a memory card glitch (you are supposed to properly removed it prior to a software update) or now you need to remove it and do a full factory reset (Which is recommended after a major software update). If you were to call tech support or call Samsung they would walk you through that anyway.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

just where did you heard that the sd card needs to be removed & a factory reset must be accomplished after any update??

fwiw:

i had perfect updates dating back to the droid x & never removed the card or did the master reset.

what if you aren't having problems after the update,.....master reset & need to reload everything???

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Why don't you call support and see for yourself?

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

don't need to, i've dealt with gte (pre)verizon for years & never heard them mention both items if not having any problems.

0 Likes
everyscreennametaken

I found a partial workaround to the problem.  I set the tablet into developer mode and there is now a previously hidden option to "stay awake" which prevents the screen from timing out/locking when the tablet is plugged in to the charger.  That keeps me kind of tethered to one spot when I'm listening to music off the SD Card, but at least it doesn't get disabled due to the screen timing out.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

601 has doze, which saves the batt when you set it down...but just about all function stop.

the only one i've found to still work with doze are text notifications.

fwiw:

i always charge with the phone off from a wall charger.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Everyscreenametaken, I play music all the the on my device, so I know how important it is to listen to your tunes without it cutting off. Hearing that you can only access the SD card when plug into a charge does concern me. Let's look into this. When everything freezes and reboots, do you receive an error message? What type of SD card are you using? Are you using the music player application that came with the Galaxy S2?

KatrinaN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes