Transfering app data
jag_man653

I used Smart Switch to transfer everything from my Galaxy III to my new s7. Afterwards, the apps are there but not the data. For example, when I open the Out of Milk shopping app it doesn't have any of my shopping lists. What am I missing?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Transfering app data
bearone21
Legend

it'll xfer the app, you may need to login to see your account!

0 Likes
JARHEAD3390

I have the same question...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Congrats on your new Galaxy S7 jag_man653. Smart Switch is a great application to use to transfer content, and it can transfer app data between devices. There are some limitations however. I was able to find this information here (under Can I transfer app data installed on my old device to a new device by using Smart Switch Mobile) http://spr.ly/6580DQ1ne

The app data installed on your old device can be transferred to your new device, but only if they are both Galaxy devices. 
* Both OS: Android M(6.0) OS or higher
However, app data transfer may be restricted depending on the OS version and the type of app. (App data recovery is not available when transferring data from devices with Android N(7.0) OS or higher to devices with Android M(6.0) OS or lower.)

* Note: Data for matching apps that you've already installed and used on your new Galaxy device will not be recovered and replaced with data from your old Galaxy device.

I hope this information is helpful.

Joseph_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
jag_man653

Thanks, Joseph.  The conditions you mention were all met, but data did not transfer. The III has Android 4.4.2, and the S7 has the latest version. The apps were transferred, but they uniformly didn't know me fro Adam 😞

However, adding to the mystery is my wife also had a III, with a slightly earlier Android Version, and the data DID transfer to her new S7. E.g., she had 3 email accounts set up in K-9 mail, and they all were immediately available on her new S7... no entry of passwords or anything. Similarly, the Out of Milk app immediately showed all the stores she uses, all the items in the pantry, etc. One possible explanation is it's possible her III had been rooted. I say that because it was a used phone when we got it (as my III was), BUT hers had the Developer facilities enabled. I can't verify that 'cuz we got rid of the phone.

Anyway, I'm up and running with most of my apps now, after doing some manual reentry of email accounts etc.

FYI

0 Likes