Unable to access Play Store while on VZW data
Morlikster
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi,

I have been having problems all day with the Play store.   The play store times out If I am connected only to VZW.  Internet , youtube and other items work fine.

However, the play store and everything else works fine if I am connected to WiFi or even if I am connected to my wife's Tmobile Hotspot.  

This only happens when I am not on WiFi.  Is there an issue over at VZW?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unable to access Play Store while on VZW data
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I just switched on my 4G/LTE service and disabled my WiFi connection to test on my Samsung Galaxy S4.

I was able to connect to Google Play twice with no problems.

0 Likes
Morlikster
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for testing Dexman.

I wonder if it has anything to do with data overages? I'm a bit over the limit.  What's wierd is that , you would think, none of the data (youtube, internet, etc) would be affected.

0 Likes
Morlikster
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well interesting enough, everything is now working.  I haven't done anything different other than maybe restart the phone for the 20th time. 

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

There could have been some sort of impairment. I don't frequent the store, so, I can't tell if this was a localized issue. But as long as everything is up & running... 🐵

0 Likes
Morlikster
Enthusiast - Level 3

I spoke too soon.   The problems are back.  Not only Google Play but any games associated with a Google Play to login stop functioning since it needs to access Google Play. 

What's wierd is that everything else works fine, even Netflix.

On WiFi, everything works and it definately isn't a device issue.   Earlier, I setup the phone as a Hotspot and connected a tablet to it.  The tablet wasn't able to access Google Play while connected either.  Very Perplexed.

0 Likes
RHSeeger

I'm seeing the same issue. The last time I was able to use Google Play Services for anything via data was Friday night. The first time I tried to login to a game on Saturday morning, it was unsuccessful.

- Works fine over wiki

- Everything else (browser, other apps that use data, etc) work fine over data

- The apps that are failing over data seem to have access to data (they report data usage), they just can't login (using Google Play)

- Updated phone (s7edge) software

- Updated app

I contacted Verizon via chat, but they just walked me through the standard script, icluding

- Restart phone

- Force stop app

- Reinstall app

- Restart phone in safe mode

We got to the point in the script where they tell me my phone needs a factory reset and I ended things there. I've seen no reason to believe its an issue with my phone, and that's a lot of time/effort to "see if this works".

My best guess right now is that it's one of the following, either one of which could easily explain why it's only over data that the problem occurs.

- The route used by VZW data (from my phone to google play) has an issue.

- The server(s) I'm being sent to by Google's load balancer has an issue.

@Morlikster: I'm in the Burlington, Mass area. Are you in that area?

0 Likes
Morlikster
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, I am pretty much having the same issues since either Friday night or Saturday morning.  I've got the phone as you also in the Boston area, Quincy to be exact.

0 Likes
Dogfruit6
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the exact same issues in the Lowell/Salem NH area. Everything works fine on Wifi, but as soon as I drop on data, the Google Play store and Pokemon Go will not work. I did a speed test and found that although my download speeds were fine, the upload speed was 0-0.01 MB/S so I have a feeling that's where the issue lies, as I read somewhere that Go requires a minimum upload speed of 1 mb/s. Whether that's right or not, this is a frustrating issue that absolutely needs to be fixed.

Galaxy S7 Edge user since July 27, 2016.

0 Likes
KITSUNE_TERRY

Same issue, starting Saturday morning, only on Galaxy S7. Connect to Wifi, everything works great. No WiFi, can't load Google Play Store or Pokemon Go, which uses Google login. S4 in the same household works without issues.

0 Likes