V10 Draining when Idle and Off
Bighawk2002

So I am having some trouble with my LG V10 I purchased in January. As this is my first Android phone, I am a little out of my element and looking for some help.

The Situation: I had a fair amount of apps installed. 6 email accounts (5 manual sync, 1 push) Facebook, Twitter, and linkedin for social. If I let my phone sit for 8 hours unused, I was between 8% and 10% an hour of battery usage. I was using apps like greenify and other task manager apps to remove unwanted background apps. Cellular, WiFi, and Bluetooth were the only radios on. The only Google stuff syncing was apps, contacts, and chrome.

What I have done: I did a factory reset as this started shortly after I pulled the MM trigger (I am on the Verizon Marshmallow release) and was still at roughly 6% /hr burn with no usage. This was with zero emails and social networks setup. I started getting drastic. First, I turned on airplane mode. I deleted every app I could. Verizon cloud, Verizon protection, Verizon Message+, LG Fitness App, Amazon Apps, Google Music, Google Video, Google App, and a couple handful of others. I turned off the second screen when the main was off. That got me to 5% /hr burn.

So I thought to myself, maybe it is the user interface, launcher, or some other hidden process, so I shut my phone off and let it sit for a few hours. I turned it on, and to my surprise, I was burning battery at roughly 4.5% /hr.

Last step…so I thought the batter had developed a short. Used my second battery on the same tests above, confirmed. So today while I was at work, I had no battery in the phone. When I came home 9 hrs later, popped the battery in and it had the same charge as when I left for work.

So where I am at I see one of two problems causing my issues

1. ) A software [removal required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service] . I am hoping there is a way I can do a total reflash. Basically the equivalent of reformat the HDD and reinstall fresh.
  2. ) A hardware short.

Obviously I am hoping it is the former, as the latter involves working with Verizon/LG.

SO right now I moved my SIM to my old Z10, as the V10 will not get me through the day. Any help would be greatly appreciated, or pointing me towards a post that solves this. I have looked but come up with bupkis.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: V10 Draining when Idle and Off
pherson
Champion - Level 1

AAre you still using task manager apps? What was your battery like before the software update? And have you tried a second hard reset? Also just to confirm do you know the accurate definition of a hard reset?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Or the system cache clear after the system update?

Brightness level?

Is it necessary to keep the wifi and cellular radios on if you are only using one of them?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

I have a V10 on Android M too.

Here is what I experience.

WiFi and bluetooth on all the time. Screen set to auto-brightness. Second screen on all the time.

I do feel like I go through battery pretty quickly but I usually am off the charger starting around 7AM. I usually charge up again at around 3PM. During this time I have used it to look at Facebook, some Instagram, send and receive some SnapChat, listen to approximately 25 minutes of a downloaded podcast, sync with my FitBit (set to all day sync which syncs between the phone and tracker about 3-5 times an hour on its own), read and send text messages, use GroupMe, read news from the Google App, check the weather, dabble in some games, read some emails and maybe watch an hour of Netflix at 85% brightness. I think all of this usage in 8 hours is pretty darn good.

Using these background managing apps do more harm than good. They are constantly running in order to manage the battery life. You want to save battery but you are using an app that uses the battery to run itself to save battery. Doesn't make sense. You don't want to be clearing all of your apps all of the time. This will cause the apps to restart from the beginning every time you open them. Android does a fine job of managing the background processes to make apps go idle when not in use. Clearing apps uses more battery to start them again than it does to let them idle.

I would suggest to use your phone how you would like to use it. This means keeping WiFi and bluetooth turned on and whatever else you want. Keep your second battery charged. When you get to 15% go ahead and look at your Battery Usage statistics and see what is using the battery the most. Also, make sure to tap on Screen and see what the Screen On Time is. Get rid of all of those apps that are meant to save battery.

Bighawk2002

Thanks Sprmankalel. I haven't touched it for 18 hrs and it won't through 65% battery. Screen tome was 20 min. The #1 app was phone idle at 72%. The rest were cell standby, Google play services and Android os.

I have removed all those battery apps as I agree, they do more harm than good.

I have a a feeling the only resolution is to go to the VZW store and see if it ‎its the phone. I just feel 27 hrs of standby (assuming 100%-0%) is suspect. I could understand if it was being used lightly, but just sitting on the table with no email or social seams ridiculous.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you getting 27 hours of standby usage on your phone? If so you have a great battery usage. If I get through the day from 6 am to 10 pm without charging any of my phones, it was a good day.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

You also have to consider strength of network signal. If you are receiving weak signal then it will drain faster.

Suggestion is to factory reset the phone. Do not install any type of back up. Install only the apps you use. Going to the store is going to result in this step anyway.

0 Likes
Not applicable

accept it drains even when idle due to all funtions running in background.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

When I upgraded from L to M I simply accepted the update. I ran my device as normal for 2 weeks. I was not satisfied with its performance. I did a factory reset. I have consistently been getting the results that I posted earlier. Would I like longer battery life? Sure! We all would. We could get essentially get 3 whole days on 1 charge and we would still beg for more.

If your battery is draining significantly when idle you need to consider your network strength. Otherwise, try to do a factory reset and see what happens. It has long been discussed this forum that if your Android device does not function properly after a major update like this then you need to factory reset and start over.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I OWNED LG G3 NOW A S7 EDGE. WHEN I DID FRESH INSTALL ON EITHER AS A NEW DEVICE, NOT USING BACKUP, THAT WAY, SLOWLY YOU BUILD APPS INSTALLED FROM PLAYSTORE. THAT WAY, YOU CAN METER USAGE SLOWLY TO GET THAT SWEET SPOT, AND IT SHOULD STABILIZE. BTW, I ALSO OWN 3 EXTRA BATTERIES. I GOT TIRED OF CONSTANT RECHARGING ONE BATTERY.

0 Likes