Why am I suddenly getting Instabug txt files in my File Manager Documents folder?
marz-K
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am getting a lot of text files in my File Manager's Documents folder. I used the Properties option on the file to see that it is an Instabug file. The path shows VCast.

After searching for various terms online I discovered that VCast is from Verizon, which is my carrier. But, I cannot find an App on phone for VCast or any information online about it or why I am getting these text files.

I am getting a lot of them. I just deleted 10 this morning. 

I don't use VCast. I didn't change anything on my phone. 

Screenshot_20200102-112445.png

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why am I suddenly getting Instabug txt files in my File Manager Documents folder?
marz-K
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, it appears like I have found the app that is causing these problems. It is the Verizon Cloud app.

I went to the Instabug website. I was thinking of actually sending them a message because the path shows their software name. But, I found this article. It appears that Verizon uses Instabug, and the person interviewed for the article is Mohammad Hariri, DMTS for Verizon’s Communications and Cloud division. So, I thought I would try disabling the Verizon Cloud and and IT WORKED!!! I have turned my phone on and off three times. I don't get the text files! 

https://instabug.com/customers/verizon

So, now the question is: How can someone in charge of that Verizon Cloud app look at this issue? 

I have one of the text files saved on my flash drive. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Why am I suddenly getting Instabug txt files in my File Manager Documents folder?
marz-K
Enthusiast - Level 3

After using the online chat option, I found out this information:

VChat is used in streaming videos and music. I use the Hoopla app to play TV shows. It seems like these text files are generated when I play a TV show.  

The rep I chatted with suggested an antivirus app.

Nothing seems to be wrong with my phone's functions. These text files are just annoying to delete because I use that Documents folder for other documents.

0 Likes
marz-K
Enthusiast - Level 3

The help chat rep's advice was not helpful. I started up my phone this morning and I had another text file. The time and date for the file were today's date with the time I started up my phone. I had not played any videos. So, some app on my phone is generating these text files. I guess the chat is just for elementary phone usage. 

I am very disappointed.

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

I have a Droid Turbo 2 and looking in my File Manage Documents folder, I see ZERO such files that I can identify as such.  

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

Appears there isn't a Verizon VCAST Mobile TV app for my Droid model.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for reaching out to us today. We would be happy to help in any way we can with the folders that you have in your files. What messaging application are you using on your phone? Do you remember saving any conversations? 

RogerZ_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate your efforts marz-K. Please let us know if we can assist with anything else. RosanneM_VZW

0 Likes
marz-K
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the reply, RogerZ_VZW.

What messaging application are you using on your phone? Do you remember saving any conversations? 

I have Messenger from Facebook. That's it. I have used that app for a couple of years without this happening. I access Facebook through my phone's browser. I do not use the Facebook app. The Messenger app is separate.  I don't save or delete these conversations.

I have Message+ from Verizon which I use as my text messager. I don't use it much. I maybe send/recieve 1 - 5 texts per month.  I delete messages when they are no longer useful to me which is usually a day or two after the conversation.

I have Messages from Google which I have disabled. 

I haven't done anything out of the ordinary to get these text files. I haven't installed any new apps or changed anything on my phone. 

I do regularly try to update my apps through the Google Play Store.

0 Likes
marz-K
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the reply, RosanneM_VZW.

RogerZ_VZW asked about my messaging. (See answer above.)

If you have any ideas, I would appreciate it.

I was ready to send Instabug a message. But, I think someone/some developer is just using their software.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Is there an option to delete the file? EstevanC_VZW

0 Likes