Why can't I find speech to text after the Marshmallow update?
DSwatloski
Enthusiast - Level 1

So speech to text in the Verizon Texting app is gone and so is speech to text in email.   Working before this wonderful Marshmallow upgrade (oxymoronic) now it's broke and I see not obvious way to get it working.    Any help appreciated.   Thanks Verizon.... again.   Upgrade to a new device get everything working like I want it and then you force an "upgrade."

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: speech to text with marshmallow is broken
DSwatloski
Enthusiast - Level 1

Here's the fix.  Bring up your texting app.   Start a message and get the keyboard.   Looking in the lower left corner of the keyboard.   Second key from the left will be a gear looking icon.   Press and hold it and four choices popup, the gear, the microphone, the emogie, and a notepad.   Select the microphone.  The microphone will stay there until you change it by selecting another of the four choices.  Nice of Verizon to let people know when they are changing things.   Maddening.... (You might need to reset your language and input choices too, if you messed with them while trying to get the speech to text to work.)

View solution in original post

0 Likes
DSwatloski
Enthusiast - Level 1

Here's the fix.  Bring up your texting app.   Start a message and get the keyboard.   Looking in the lower left corner of the keyboard.   Second key from the left will be a gear looking icon.   Press and hold it and four choices popup, the gear, the microphone, the emogie, and a notepad.   Select the microphone.  The microphone will stay there until you change it by selecting another of the four choices.  Nice of Verizon to let people know when they are changing things.   Maddening.... (You might need to reset your language and input choices too, if you messed with them while trying to get the speech to text to work.)

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I think several people have asked this question recently in the community and got the same answer from another community member. You should be able to find those discussion threads in the various spaces for the model specific space or the Android space.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes