Why does my LG G4 keep rebooting?
RALWHI75
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had issues with my wife's LG G4 and it keeps rebooting every few minutes.  The thing about this is, she did a software update that the phone ask her to do about a week ago, and that is when she started having the issue with the phone rebooting every 10 to 15 minutes.  After over a week of going through processes that the Verizion Tech ask me to do, including a factory reset, to no avail, it is still going on.  There is absolutely no damage to the phone, no scratches or anything, it has been kept in a case since we purchased it.  The phone is about two weeks out of warranty and they said they would make an exception and send me a replacement at the cost of 150.00.   I am still paying on the phone now that cost me over 600.00, and because of a software upgrade that the phone prompted me to do, It will cost me 150.00 to get the phone replaced.  Is that a marketing strategy?  I saw on an early post that someone had the same problem and made a round of calls to Google and LG, and everyone is blaming the other person.  The long and short of it is, I bought this phone from Verizon, not LG or Google!  Very Disappointed!

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: LG G4
ERNARM65
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same issue. Just started the bootloop thing about 4 days ago. LG admitted that this is a hardware manufacture problem affecting G4's manufactured in May/June of 2015 and have extended the 1 year warranty to either 15 months from the purchase date or 18 months from the manufacture date. Unfortunately for me, my phone is about 2 months past either of those and I didn't purchase an extended warranty. The phone is pristine. Never dropped or abused. Verizon won't do anything(they did give me a $25 discount on my bill - whoo hoo) LG said to send it to their service center and they'll examine it and give me the repair cost. I would probably then receive a refurbished phone for the price(???) of the repair. I think that I will just pay the remaining $160 that I owe on it and get the iPhone that I should have gotten to begin with. NEVER another LG. My wife also has the G4. I think that I will trade hers for an iPhone as well. Too bad. I really liked the phone and have other LG electronics. I think that they need to stand by their products and offer to repair/replace any phone with a known issue regardless of when it happens. At least in the first 2 years when most people are still paying for it. Even if they would have notified all owners of the phones in question, the owners would have had the option to upgrade their phone while it still had value.

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you replace the phone through insurance? If so, insurance always has a deductible associated with the replacement costs.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
RALWHI75
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, didn't have insurance. But if a software upgrade triggers a phone to

be unuseable, then that is kind of crappy. I take care of my phones, and

it is in mint condition. Because my wife was prompted to do the software

upgrade, now I am forced to buy another phone. A 600.00 phone financed for

two years, should last that long if you take care of it as I have!

kathy65793
Master - Level 1

Have you tried the Verizon help

Troubleshooting Assistant for LG G4 | Verizon Wireless

Have you cleared the cache partition after the update?

0 Likes
RALWHI75
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have used the repair assistant program from Verizon, did a factory reset

and everything

0 Likes
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

I know how you feel I had a s5 that got an update and it was never the same after that. Unfortunately I had to get a new phone hope you are able to get something done with yours.If you can keep us posted you may come up with a fix and it sure would help others

0 Likes
ERNARM65
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same issue. Just started the bootloop thing about 4 days ago. LG admitted that this is a hardware manufacture problem affecting G4's manufactured in May/June of 2015 and have extended the 1 year warranty to either 15 months from the purchase date or 18 months from the manufacture date. Unfortunately for me, my phone is about 2 months past either of those and I didn't purchase an extended warranty. The phone is pristine. Never dropped or abused. Verizon won't do anything(they did give me a $25 discount on my bill - whoo hoo) LG said to send it to their service center and they'll examine it and give me the repair cost. I would probably then receive a refurbished phone for the price(???) of the repair. I think that I will just pay the remaining $160 that I owe on it and get the iPhone that I should have gotten to begin with. NEVER another LG. My wife also has the G4. I think that I will trade hers for an iPhone as well. Too bad. I really liked the phone and have other LG electronics. I think that they need to stand by their products and offer to repair/replace any phone with a known issue regardless of when it happens. At least in the first 2 years when most people are still paying for it. Even if they would have notified all owners of the phones in question, the owners would have had the option to upgrade their phone while it still had value.