Why does my Moto Z Force Droid Device verification fail?
brianchris
Enthusiast - Level 2

On October 30th, I purchased a brand new Verizon Moto Z Force Droid smartphone.  The first thing I did after I charged it and powered it on was check for system/Android updates. It found one, which seemed to install correctly.  After that, I checked for updates again, and it found a second update. That update failed to install on the first attempt.  On the second attempt (to install the second system update), it succeeded. Ever since then though, I have a some sort of "bootloader" error, every time I power on the smartphone, that says: "your device has failed verification and may not work properly."  Further, I can not use the "Android Pay" app on the device, because it says my device "can not be verified" (or something to that effect).

Also, I am not the only person having this exact problem with the Moto Z Force Droid smartphone:  "Your device has failed verification and may not w... - Lenovo Community

Please help me fix this (seemingly) significant problem.  Thank you in advance!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Moto Z Force Droid: "Your device has failed verification and may not work properly"
brianchris
Enthusiast - Level 2

So, I actually solved this problem, but it took me talking directly with a Motorola senior engineer to solve it.  I have copied and pasted the solution here, but the full thread can by found at this link:  "Your device has failed verification and may not w... - Lenovo Community

Here is the specific solution:

Tom from Motorola and I were able to meet (via Google Hangouts), and thanks to his guidance, this problem is now solved on my (Verizon branded) Moto Z Force Droid smartphone!  If you have this problem, and your Moto Z is from Verizon (Tom did restate to me that this fix will not work for retail/non-Verizon branded Moto Z's, unfortunetely), here are the steps to fix the problem:

1)  Download and then install the "Verizon Software Update Utility" on your Windows PC from this link:  http://www.motorola.com/verizonsoftwareupdatewin

2)  Connect your Moto Z to that PC via a USB-C to standard USB cable.

3)  Swipe down on the status bar (located at the top) on your smartphone, then tap the notification for "Other USB Options."  Tap the "Software Installation" option.

4)  Open the "Verizon Software Update Utility" application on your Windows PC (if you haven't already).

5)  Wait a good 10-30 seconds (at least) for the "Verizon Software Update Utility" to a) check for updates to itself, and then b) discover your attached smartphone.

6)  When available, click on the red "Restore" button within the "Verizon Software Update Utility" (shown in one of the previous screenshots in this thread).

7)  Choose whether to erase or keep all your data during this process.  Choosing to keep all my data worked for me during this process!

😎  After that, it seems like it took around 30 minutes to download the Moto Z Android image, decompress that Android image, and then install it to the phone.  After that process is done though, the problem should be fixed, as it was fixed for me!

If by chance, you run into that same "error extracting files from server" message (or something similar...I can't remeber exactly) that I did (and I posted a screenshot of it earlier in this thread), just post back here and I will provide you the instructions on how to fix that problem too.

Tom, many thanks for (as I said before) not giving up on this problem, and working with me on a solution.  I am extremely appreciative!!

View solution in original post

Re: Moto Z Force Droid: "Your device has failed verification and may not work properly"
mama23dogs
Legend

If you purchased a device that is faulty, you have 14 days, including day of purchase to return it and get another without any restock fees or warranty hassle. 

Dont fool around with it.  Return it.

0 Likes
MRSENTRY

Sounds like you tried to root it and failed?????

0 Likes
brianchris
Enthusiast - Level 2

@ mama23dogs:   Thanks for your reply.  However, the problem is that (I believe) that all Moto Droid Z devices will have this problem eventually, because the most recent system/Android update (as of the date of this post) caused this bootloader error problem.  Therefore, if you are suggesting I return it for a different Make & Model smartphone, then you suggestion is valid.  However, if you were suggesting I return it for the same Make & Model smartphone (it *is* a really great device, other than this current [significant] problem), then your suggestion doesn't help as much.  regardless, thanks again for replying!

0 Likes
brianchris
Enthusiast - Level 2

@ MRSENTRY:  Thanks for your reply as well.  However, that is *exactly* the problem:  I did *not* try to root at all.....I believe this problem was caused by the second (of 2) system/Android updates that were available when I took the Moto Droid Z Force out of the box, and that I installed.  I say that because the second update initially failed (which I had never seen in many, many years using multiple Android devices).....after trying to install that second update again, the second update was successful, but immediately had the (currently unsolvable) bootloader error I am discussing in this thread.  Indeed, I have even heard Verzion refusing to exchange affected Moto Droid Z devices (within 14 days) or warranty service affected Moto Droid Z devices exactly *because* the error *appears* that people tried to root their Moto Droid Z devices.   Talk about kicking a person when they are down!!  Smiley Sad   Motorola themselves have been shockingly of zero assistance as well, which leaves me little choice to post here for any assistance anyone can offer.  Thanks again.

0 Likes
Re: Moto Z Force Droid:  "Your device has failed verification and may not work properly"
mama23dogs
Legend

I don't know if this is a fault in a few devices, or is destined to hit every Moto Z, but I would not keep the phone either way.

Since the Moto/Lenova forum is not flooded with thousands of complaints, I would chalk it up to something to do with the Mods system, which is a new idea.  That means it's a roll of the dice. 

Your call. 

0 Likes
Nbronner

I have the identical issue except mine started when my phone updated to Nougat. I have absolutely NOT tried to root my phone. I have a few apps misbehaving but I am not sure whether that is due to the failed verification or Nougat.

0 Likes
brianchris
Enthusiast - Level 2

So, I actually solved this problem, but it took me talking directly with a Motorola senior engineer to solve it.  I have copied and pasted the solution here, but the full thread can by found at this link:  "Your device has failed verification and may not w... - Lenovo Community

Here is the specific solution:

Tom from Motorola and I were able to meet (via Google Hangouts), and thanks to his guidance, this problem is now solved on my (Verizon branded) Moto Z Force Droid smartphone!  If you have this problem, and your Moto Z is from Verizon (Tom did restate to me that this fix will not work for retail/non-Verizon branded Moto Z's, unfortunetely), here are the steps to fix the problem:

1)  Download and then install the "Verizon Software Update Utility" on your Windows PC from this link:  http://www.motorola.com/verizonsoftwareupdatewin

2)  Connect your Moto Z to that PC via a USB-C to standard USB cable.

3)  Swipe down on the status bar (located at the top) on your smartphone, then tap the notification for "Other USB Options."  Tap the "Software Installation" option.

4)  Open the "Verizon Software Update Utility" application on your Windows PC (if you haven't already).

5)  Wait a good 10-30 seconds (at least) for the "Verizon Software Update Utility" to a) check for updates to itself, and then b) discover your attached smartphone.

6)  When available, click on the red "Restore" button within the "Verizon Software Update Utility" (shown in one of the previous screenshots in this thread).

7)  Choose whether to erase or keep all your data during this process.  Choosing to keep all my data worked for me during this process!

😎  After that, it seems like it took around 30 minutes to download the Moto Z Android image, decompress that Android image, and then install it to the phone.  After that process is done though, the problem should be fixed, as it was fixed for me!

If by chance, you run into that same "error extracting files from server" message (or something similar...I can't remeber exactly) that I did (and I posted a screenshot of it earlier in this thread), just post back here and I will provide you the instructions on how to fix that problem too.

Tom, many thanks for (as I said before) not giving up on this problem, and working with me on a solution.  I am extremely appreciative!!