how to unlock LG G4 Hotspot?
FalconLord

hi all

I have a LG G4. I brought my phone to Asia in June, and was able to use sim cards from local companies to make calls, text, and get online (Taiwan Mobile and China Mobile).

However, when I tried to turn on hotspot to share connection with my laptop, I got this message:

"Note: A Verizon Wireless LTE SIM card is not detected. Mobile Hotspot/Mobile Broadband Connection/Bluetooth tethering service needs a Verizon SIM card in order to work."

Now this message seems to make very clear that LG G4's Mobile hotspot is locked to Verizon. However, multiple calls to Verizon Tech Support had not yield any result on why this is, and how to unlock it. Multiple tech support folks claimed that nothing on the G4 should be locked. One even said she called her counterpart at LG, and confirmed this (after putting me on hold for like 10 min). We tried the "sofware repair" option on Verizon's website, to no avail.

Note, I tried this on 2 different LG G4s, so I know I'm just not unlucky enough to get the one locked phone.

Anyone got any idea how to unlock this sucker so I can use Mobile Hotspot while abroad on my phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: how to unlock LG G4 Hotspot?
Weth
Legend

The message comes from a Verizon setup wizard app that makes no allowance for the possibility that anyone would use a foreign SIM in a Verizon phone. Freeze or remove the app to suppress the message.Your phone is unlocked, it is just this app causing this annoyance message.

Try to google "verizon sim from unknown source"

0 Likes
FalconLord

thank you. I'll give it a try when I get home.

I thought "Setup Wizard" is a native Android app?

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

More info:

That is a setting the settings.db file called entitlement check.  It is set as 1 and should be 0.

Google "your phone cannot connect to verizon server" and look for xda entry and the last post on that site's link To another xda post which describes above.

Also follow here:

How to get my phone really unlocked???

0 Likes
FalconLord

Nope attempting to "Force Stop" Setup Wizard doesn't work

I still get the same error message when I pop in one of my foreign SIMs

@Weth, I can't find the article you are describing on XDA

0 Likes
Weth
Legend