"unfortunately, Sense Home has stopped" appearing after Marshmallow update.
luvmyphoenix
Enthusiast - Level 2

So, I did the latest update offered by Verizon today, 5/26/2016, on my HTC One M8.  I have had this phone for 2 years and have had zero problem with it until now.  Now, after this update, I cannot access anything but the Setting tab from the top of the phone screen.  I have gone into the phone's recovery mode and cleared the partition, cleared the cache on Sense Home and alas, MY PHONE IS STILL UNUSABLE. 

What do I do at this point?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: "unfortunately, Sense Home has stopped" appearing after Marshmallow update.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

luvmyphoenix,

Software updates are meant to help your device not make them worse. We are sorry to hear you have come across this issue. You have taken the correct steps so far & its alarming to hear no difference. One other thing I would try before doing a factory reset is "rebooting" the Home Sense app. You may do this by:

->From main screen click Apps
->Settings
->Application manager
->All (can drag finger along top from right to left until all is showing)
->Find Home Sense App (will be in alphabetical order)
->Click Force Stop
->& then Clear Data & Clear Cache
->Power phone Off & On

See if you are then  still receiving the error. If so, go back into the Application Manager & back to Home Sense. See if it give you an option to Disable or Uninstall Updates. If so, power off/on again & see if a difference.

If not, the factory reset would be next. You would want to ensure the device is backed up first though:

Verizon Cloud: http://vz.to/1cQ9M2W

Factory Reset: http://vz.to/1E4A8mL

ChristinaM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
luvmyphoenix
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello, VERIZON?  Are you there??

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

TThis is NOT a direct link to customer service. The best thing for you to do is to call them at 8009220204 from a different phone so you can be walked through a master reset, or you can google the number and call the manufacturer.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That would drive me crazy too if my phone started acting goofy after a software update, luvmyphoenix. Have you tried to clear cache and data in Sense Home? Here is how: http://vz.to/1si9Hwk
What zip are you in? Have you tried the Software Repair tool? http://vz.to/1VngrEk Please keep us updated.

AllisonC_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

luvmyphoenix,

Software updates are meant to help your device not make them worse. We are sorry to hear you have come across this issue. You have taken the correct steps so far & its alarming to hear no difference. One other thing I would try before doing a factory reset is "rebooting" the Home Sense app. You may do this by:

->From main screen click Apps
->Settings
->Application manager
->All (can drag finger along top from right to left until all is showing)
->Find Home Sense App (will be in alphabetical order)
->Click Force Stop
->& then Clear Data & Clear Cache
->Power phone Off & On

See if you are then  still receiving the error. If so, go back into the Application Manager & back to Home Sense. See if it give you an option to Disable or Uninstall Updates. If so, power off/on again & see if a difference.

If not, the factory reset would be next. You would want to ensure the device is backed up first though:

Verizon Cloud: http://vz.to/1cQ9M2W

Factory Reset: http://vz.to/1E4A8mL

ChristinaM_VZW

0 Likes
luvmyphoenix
Enthusiast - Level 2

So, I figured I would update this as I have really been through a ringer this past weekend.  I never thought that not having this phone available to me would be so frustrating.  Anyways, I ended up taking the cell phone to a Verizon store where the employee wanted to do a hard reset and basically restore it to factory spec.  I really was against that as I had info on the phone that I hadn't backed up yet and was not going to be able to since I couldn't escape the "Sense Home" error.  Ultimately, I did not let them reset the phone, either.  I did come back to this forum to see the last comment about clearing the cash on the Home Sense app, but doing this alone was NOT successful.  Apparently, HTC ONE Dot View might be related to the Home Sense app somehow and since I was able to access the "settings" on my phone, I decided to apply the above mentioned by the VWCS to that app as well per some insight given on a Google search.  This worked.  By clearing the cache on the Dot View app I was able to restart the phone and then also clear the cache on the Home Sense app.  This was successful in allowing me to completely use the phone afterwards.  Then I updated both apps from the Play Store and haven't had any problems running on Marshmallow since.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

luvmyphoenix - I am happy to hear the issue you were having is resolved. I am glad you did not have to do a factory reset and that your personal data is safe. I want to take this opportunity to thank you for your business and loyalty.

JacobV_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes