Lost ipad - Need to cancel recurring data plan
3tzus

Surely there is a way to cancel the dataplan that is automatically charged to my debit card each month? ?? I no longer have the Ipad so I cannot cancel the plan using Settings, and I don't know what the device number was as the Ipad is gone. I continue to get charged $20/mo. I bought a new Ipad and added the plan to my cellphone account sharing a pool of data. So the new ipad is on a 2 year contract. But I continue to get charged for data for an old Ipad I no longer have in my possession. When I called, three Verizon people told me that without the Ipad acct number, I am out of luck and they cannot cancel the plan and they can't look up my number using my debit card number or name. How ridiculous is that? They said I had to have my bank stop payment on the charges. I want Verizon to stop charging for data I cannot use on a device I cannot access because I no longer own it!

Called my bank and they cannot stop the charges because it is a debit card charge. They could if it was a debit through clearinghouse, but not debit card. I do not want to cancel my debit card and get a whole new one. It seems to me Verizon could cancel this recurring data charge for a device I no longer own. Isn't there a way to do this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Lost ipad - Need to cancel recurring data plan
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good Morning, 3tzus! I can totally understand your concern. I want to make sure you get this taken care of ASAP. Sounds like the old tablet was on our pre-paid services. Unfortunately, we don't have access to the prepaid accounts. Please reach out to our prepaid department by calling them toll free at 888-294-6804 Select Option 4, 6, and 4.

KevinR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Loquat
Master - Level 1

That seems odd that VZW can't find the device on your account.  Can you log on to MyVZW and download a copy of your bill and call in.  Something just doesn't seem right here...

0 Likes
3tzus

There is no "bill". The Ipad was on a recurring data plan...pay as you go. There was no contract, so no "billing". The Verizon representatives told me that if I could not cancel the debit using "Cellular Data" under the "General" settings on the Ipad (which is where I set it up) then, they cannot cancel it and they will charge me for the rest of my life...or until my debit card expires in two years. My bank cannot stop this re-curring charge because it is a debit withdrawal. All they can do is close the account and open a new one. It is ridiculous that Verizon is telling me that they have no way to find out which account the $20 they they take from me each month is going to. Can someone hlep?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good Morning, 3tzus! I can totally understand your concern. I want to make sure you get this taken care of ASAP. Sounds like the old tablet was on our pre-paid services. Unfortunately, we don't have access to the prepaid accounts. Please reach out to our prepaid department by calling them toll free at 888-294-6804 Select Option 4, 6, and 4.

KevinR_VZW

0 Likes
3tzus

KevinR_VZW ~ I already did and they told me that it was too bad they could not help me if I do not have the device number. That is what I am saying! It's crazy! They are going to charge me until my card expires because I cannot give them the device number and I cannot change the settings on the Ipad because it is gone! This is just ridiculous! So anybody whose Ipad is stolen or lost in a fire or whatever just has to keep paying for data because they have no way to retrieve their number? This makes no sense. Verizon has my debit card number and name, why can't they look it up that way?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

3tzus,

We certainly want to make sure this is solved for you and the billing is stopped. There are a number of ways that we can locate an account. The device ID of the iPad, the mobile device number we assign it, and your account number are all ways to do so. If your address was on file we could also attempt to locate it using that. We certainly have options to make sure this is solved. I would definitely recommend contacting our prepaid team to see if any of those work so we can make sure this is finished.

AndrewT_VZW

0 Likes
MDUSA

VERIZON IS A SHAMELESS COMPANY.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

What company isn't?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MDUSA, what has you feeling this way? How can we help improve your experience with us?

AlanS_VZW

0 Likes
wzuber09

I have been trying for two years to do the same thing. I am continually charged a recurring $20 a month fee for an ipad that is no longer in working order. I no longer have verizon accounts of any kind and can't access anything to stop this fee. 

The numbers listed above are no longer associated with verizon. How do I get this recurring fee to stop? 

0 Likes