Need to buy new phone for prepaid acct -- can I transfer data? Funds?
jemmaline

So the phone I have with my Verizon prepaid account is busted  (dropped it too many times.)  I need to buy new one. Verizon wont' let me b uy new phone without also shelling out at least 45 for first month prepaid account.

Two questions:

Can I use funds I have in my prepaid account to go for this new one?

Have a lot of paid for data on my old phone and account.  Will I be able to transfer it to new one?

I understand from chat rep that I have to buy new phone with new number, and then port my old number to this new one. Is Verizon going to screw me by making me pay for my data all over again? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Need to buy new phone for prepaid acct -- can I transfer data? Funds?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jemmaline-

We realize that saving money is a must.  We don't have access to pre pay accounts to confirm those changes for you.  Pleae contact our pre pay team at 1-888-294-6804.  Thank you for your time.

EmmaM_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Can you not go to Walmart and buy a box Verizon prepaid phone like the Moto E for $69.99 and just put your SIM in it?

jemmaline

I have an Iphone 4s.  Would like to replace it with same phone. Guess I could buy an off-contract Iphone that either has Verizon as a carrier or is unlocked?/ Question still remains: can I transfer my unused data to a new device?

Personal Information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message was edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

That iPhone will be high dollar unless you find it used elsewhere.  You SHOULD be able to keep the line as is and data as is and money as is, just replace the phone with a Verizon phone.  That's why Verizon has the BYOD prepaid route.

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I think the question you should be asking is if whatever you already have on your prepaid account is linked to your SIM card. In which case do as Snn5 says and just buy a phone that works with Verizon prepaid and put your SIM card in. The phone isn't what connects you to Verizon, the SIM card is.

Snn5
Legend

You'll definitely be buying used if you want another 4S.

0 Likes